Reel import

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bornagainfishermen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reel import
    Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 1:28pm
bornagainfishermen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone imported a reel in from ebay what sort things should I expect eg duty taxes whether or not it's worth it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:35pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If its over $400nzd (including shipping) you'll pay GST. No duty though.
If under $400 you'll pay nothing extra.

Make sure you pay with Paypal - that way youre covered if item doesn't turn up or is not as advertised.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 7:47pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I did recently. ....Daiwa Tanacom 1000 from USA no issues at all a nicely profitable exercise 🖒
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

If its over $400nzd (including shipping) you'll pay GST. No duty though.
If under $400 you'll pay nothing extra.

Make sure you pay with Paypal - that way youre covered if item doesn't turn up or is not as advertised.

Bang on, Mark. Although in addition to the GST, Customs also charges a bevvy of handling and admin charges, so it ends up a lot more than just the simple GST.

As you'll see, many ebay sellers (of new reels) are actually shops - often getting rid of clearance stock. Look for the seller's ratings - any with high 90s ratings are usually very reliable.

My observation has been that compared to global sites NZ retail shops have Shimano at very competitive prices, but we pay way over the odds for Daiwa and Quantum, and Penn to some degree (particularly compared to the US). On sale, you can pick up Daiwa stuff for nearly half the price (landed).

I've bought reels directly from a couple of Aussie sites (Otto's and Anglers Warehouse), and from Tackle Warehouse and Tackle Direct in the US.
Absolutely excellent service.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bornagainfishermen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:44pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cool thanks guys I'd rather keep it local but I can't find anyone who stocks the ocea jigger 2000nrhg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:57pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quick search found that one on ebay for US$500. So, as per Mark's reply, if that's the kind of cost you're looking at, you'll likely get charged GST and the other Customs handling charges as the import value is well over NZ$400.
But if you can't get the reel you want locally, and don't mind paying the various charges, then bob's your uncle.

FYI, the other charges, on top of GST (15% of the total import cost), that Customs charges are:
  • Import transaction fee + GST
  • Biosecurity levy + GST
  • Westpac transaction fee for paying the bill online
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bornagainfishermen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

Very helpful guys I really appreciate it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:38pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never import a stella.......you will get screwed....I tell you.....used or new.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.