I dunked my Stradic - what to do?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I dunked my Stradic - what to do?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:12pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi folks,

Due to a travel rod inadvertently coming apart at a join while I was dealing with a thrashing flathead (while up to my knees in an Australian estuary) I dunked my Shimano Stradic 4000FJ in the water. Full immersion for about a second.

This happened last Saturday.

I wiped the reel down with a soapy fresh water using a cloth when I got back to our unit.

But I've never dunked a reel in salt water before. So my question is what to do now that I'm home.

Do I need to now get a full take-it-apart service, or take any other action?

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:44pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A good soak of rinse in fresh water, drip dry with the drain holes down (if any present) but first tighten up,the drag
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 2:36pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey TK
I would recommend having it stripped down and cleaned and lubed as a preventative measure, if any salt water has entered the internals then there will be serious corrosion taking place as body , pinion and roller clutch bearing and handle are not sealed, if you have had it serviced recently then it possibly has a good coating of marine grease on gears etc and will be fine with some drops of oil on bail arm pivots and line roller, anyway just my 2 cents worth, cheers swordfishsteveSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 3:55pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take it apart and clean /lube everything IMO there not hard to work on and if any salt water got in you won't know till its done damage.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 7:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chances are, "just a sec"  what you have done so far will be ok.
Even so, I would remove spool, clutches, body covers.. check foe any signs of water, clean and re lube.. oil/ grease as appropriate.
IF not VERY familiar with elliptical gears/ set up.. no not remove or even allow to go out of synic.
 These need to be timed exactly, even 1 tooth off they may feel ok, but will wear quick and may bind under heavy load.

If still in doubt...get it serviced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 8:25am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's completely screwed mate, it will need to be disposed of safely, I'm a licensed disposal agent, I'll send you my address! Tongue
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 2:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

It's completely screwed mate, it will need to be disposed of safely, I'm a licensed disposal agent, I'll send you my address! Tongue

Fantastic offer, Bob. Let me know your address and I'll drop it off along with four-day-old guts and heads from my next trip, and the contents from my 16-month-old's nappy bin. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 2:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks to everyone for the advice. 
I decided to go the safety first option and got Greg at Go Fish to service the reel for me.
I'm sure he did a great job, and he even put in new washers. 
I like my classic FJ and I'm sure it'll last me a while yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 8:02pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nah, send it to Swordfishsteve, it'll come back like new