Beginner diver Auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4WDgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner diver Auckland
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:38pm
4WDgirl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, new to the forum as well as the sport. I am looking to do a couple Paua dives during my visit (roughly 3 weeks total). Just hoping to be pointed in the right direction.
I am based in New Lynn .. travelling from Australia (but don't hold that against me)

.. Any recommendations on spearo shops?
.. Suitable dive spots
.. Licensing
.. wetsuit thickness etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:48pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi & Welcome to NZ.

You should have gone to the Boat Show at the weekend. All your questions answered in one spot.
There is a Spearos section on this forum.

I just happen to be online and I'm not a Spearo or Diver of any sort but I'm in Titirangi and can confirm there are no shops nearby since Stirling Sports ceased their fishing section in Lynn Mall.

You have Norcross Fishing World in Henderson (Railside Ave.) and Hunting & Fishing out at the Westgate complex as nearest.

Otherwise there are several shops down in Westhaven.

I don't think you can dive for Paua with SCUBA - only snorkels (But I may be wrong).

Google the MPI website. (Ministry for Primary Industries).

You would need someone experienced with you to go near the Manukau Harbour.

Enjoy your visit to 'Godzone'.

Someone will be along shortly with proper answers for you...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:53pm
Gold
Gold

P.s. And good on you for asking re: Licensing etc.

Here's MPI - 

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:58pm
Gold
Gold

Found this: (Download the Rules Brochure or get the App.)

Shellfish Restrictions Underwater breathing apparatus (UBA) 
• UBA does not include snorkels; 
• no person may take paua using UBA; 
• no person may be in possession of paua while in possession of UBA. This includes possession in or on any vessel or vehicle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Again, not an expert as I have never dived but my understanding is you will not find legal paua near Auckland.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4WDgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:42am
4WDgirl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the informative reply! I should have clarified that I'm not yet in NZ but will be within the next two weeks.
I am more than happy to travel in search for paua :) and will most definitely try the free diving subforum closer to that date.
We have the same restrictions in Australia as far as diving on tanks. Luckily my experience is in diving with snorkels from shore but thank you for checking up on that.

I can't believe your sizing limits! I was on a dive for greenlip recently and the min size requirement is 145mm, where 10 are allowed.
Where I am from it's 2 per day per diver. So I am going to be happy with just one legal ab in all honesty lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:49pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wettie dive shop on rosedale road on the North Shore is a good shop, if you want to catch Paua try going unto the bay of islands as there is very few in Auckland and a 5mm wetsuit for this time of year.
Thanks