Krilling Trevally

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Krilling Trevally
    Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:34pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

While Ive caught Trevs off the bricks and in burley trails off a boat, I haven't had a lot of luck catching them from surface schools.

Any thoughts from Craig and others who have fished for them while they are krilling?

Approach - leading the school from in front or out to one side?

Floating fly? which is how I caught one once at Cape Brett or is slow sinking ok?

Tippet. Light? 6lb?

Fly. Hook size? pattern? I've heard they like size 8 hare and coppers...

Any thoughts appreciated. 

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 5:15am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A range of flies work but the trevally can be tricky.

Don't discount a small heavy clouser fished in front of the school and then sunk down and through.

On top floating line is easiest and the fish nearly always demand light leaders (12lb fluoro maximum) and small hooks (generally size 8 but you might get away with a size 6). Anything mall and shrimpy works. A scrap of pink or white marabou tied to a hook will work fine.

Most important is the presentation, and this is where most people fail. Lead the school carefully and swing the fly across the school. Draw on the flyline slowly as you do so and raise your rod slowly. The idea is to keep contact with the fly in all the turbulence and boat movement. They will spit the fly the minute they touch it otherwise. No slack.

Draw the fly slowly across the school and do a quick trout strike the instant the fly is touched.

Have fun. They can be very frustrating!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 9:16am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What Craig says. I've caught them on size 12-14 hare & coppers under those circumstances - small is best and keeping in touch with the fly is a must. Of course using tackle that light requires some finesse in playing the fish. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 7:45pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks fellas,

Great tip on minimising slack...

Ive got clear slow sinking tips on all my floating lines, no pure floater so maybe dragging the flies down unnaturally too?

Yeah Craig I've tried a sunken chartruese over white clouser a few times and picked up some big kahawai but havent got a trev like this just yet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 10:33pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi mate, 
I've posted these pics before, but I've caught some nice trevs on these sabiki flies out by the Noises, down deep in a string of 3 (not fly fishing). I call them Natural Born Krillers. They incorporate a bit of UV in the Krystal Flash feelers and the body dubbing. Tied a bit around the bend on small Black Magic C Point hooks which have a nice shrimpy shape to my eye. For fun, I tie in shellbacks, eyes, barred rubber feelers etc, but I would imagine anything with a lightly dubbed body in a shrimpy pink/apricot, with Craig's bit of marabou or rabbit movement, would be the go.
I remember either Gary Kemsley (or maybe Geoff Thomas?) recommending small Red Setters for krilling trevs, with a bit of the wing etc pulled off roughly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice looking fly there TK. I sometimes wonder whether more realism would help, but seem to catch plenty without it. Did try including tiny little shrimp eyes one year. I couldn't honestly say it made any difference. Size of the fly, leader size and cast placement all seem to be more crucial factors on the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:34pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Hi mate, 
I've posted these pics before, but I've caught some nice trevs on these sabiki flies out by the Noises, down deep in a string of 3 (not fly fishing). I call them Natural Born Krillers. They incorporate a bit of UV in the Krystal Flash feelers and the body dubbing. Tied a bit around the bend on small Black Magic C Point hooks which have a nice shrimpy shape to my eye. For fun, I tie in shellbacks, eyes, barred rubber feelers etc, but I would imagine anything with a lightly dubbed body in a shrimpy pink/apricot, with Craig's bit of marabou or rabbit movement, would be the go.
I remember either Gary Kemsley (or maybe Geoff Thomas?) recommending small Red Setters for krilling trevs, with a bit of the wing etc pulled off roughly.

Nice tie Lester. I have whipped up a few similar.

As Craig alludes to I don't think the fly is necessarily the issue, rather the drift, leader, and maintaining contact.

Cant wait to get amongst those surface schools again and give them another crack... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

I totally understand, Craig. The relative simplicity of your own ties for snapper, and your falling through the water column method, shows that understanding what fish see and are deceived by is more important than exact imitation of one creature or other.

I'm sure the eyes on my krills make no difference whatsoever! 

There's a very good reason why the likes of Hare n Copper are so effective on trout - suggestive, rather than directly imitative, taking into account what trout actually see, rather than what we see.

If trevally are really selectively feeding, I imagine a realistic shape, colour and movement are probably key. 
But I enjoyed tying up some custom sabikis on decent line so that i don't get broken off by snapper, big kahawai etc. They really make a mess of most commercial sabikis other than Uncles' Mac Flashers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Troutzilla Troutzilla wrote:

[

Cant wait to get amongst those surface schools again and give them another crack... 

Nice one, Jeremy. Any trev would be a worthy foe on a fly rod, get a real Northland horse on and you'll have a heck of a fight.

Good luck.

It won't be long and Strip Strike will be hassling you to go out squid fishing again.