150 merc vs 150 suzuki

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just to throw another comparison into the pot, has anyone looked at Honda 150?? they are reputed to be very advanced with new tech, I believe Tohatsu as four strokes are now or soon to be re-badged Honda's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:25pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

Throttle and gear cables are generally a PITA. 

Fly by wire - is a much better system IMO. 

If I remember correctly it's available on the 150 Zuk, but not the 150 yam.

Fly by wire only available on the new df150ap lean model. The standard df150 doesn't have the option
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:33pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Just to throw another comparison into the pot, has anyone looked at Honda 150?? they are reputed to be very advanced with new tech, I believe Tohatsu as four strokes are now or soon to be re-badged Honda's

Was only looking at Merc or Suzuki, as thats the options I have with the package. My dealer used to have Honda brand but dropped it in favour of the Merc. Apparently Honda were quite difficult to deal with (the company, not the product)

Also when purchasing my curent boat I had choice of Suzy or Honda. Was taken through to the workshop where the question was asked from the mechanic, which he would choose. He said Suzy, and showed me a Honda where slight corrosion was starting round the block at the head gaskets. His opinion was Suzy had better quality alloys, and he'd seen the issue a lot on Hondas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:21pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi,
I've got twin 150df suzuki on my rig withe the cables. I could have gone withe the new version of the 150 but decided to save a bit of coin. I love the suzuki because it swings a bigger prop. In doing so I get to cruise at a better speed. It also feels like I get better grip on the water withe bigger prop. It's a big alloy so I find the grip thing inportant to get the low down tourque going and move the boat but to speed etc quicker.
I don't know the technical aid did this but that's my feedback.

I had a 175 verado before this and the hp wasn't generated until late in the rev range so had to floor it all the time to get the boat going.

I don't use use the suzuki at wot, to me it's what you use the boat rev range for the most. I'd be checking on the water trials at hole shot, cruise revs and reserve power.

If it was me I'd be buying another suzuki any day - plenty of charter and commercial guys have them - for a reason
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:56pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Decision has been made. Gone with the new Suzuki DF150AP. (Learn burn)

Spoke to a number of boat builders who all agreed that the extra weight compared to the Merc would not be noticable on a 6mtr glass boat. So latest technology giving suposedly even better smoothness of running, and fly by wire won out over weight saving.

Wil give full report once I finally get new rig on the water - which is quite a bit behind schedule due to a fairly major stuff up (not mine) However thats for another day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 5:10pm
FredKaiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome topic Waihime. I'm also getting a new boat (hopefully it will be ready in the next 2 weeks) and I went with the Merc 150 4s. Mostly because of the money. If I had the extra cash, I don't think I would have gone with the Merc so am hoping to be surprised by it... in saying that, coming from a 90hp 2s to a 150 4s, I'm sure I will be rather pleased with the new gear. My new boat is an ally 6.5 HT. 

I will make sure to come back to this topic to report my findings!

Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Cheers,
FK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 8:15pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You'll be rapt with the Merc FK. Only real comment I keep hearing about that motor is the clunky gearbox when shifting in and out of gear. If that worries you just get them to put the flo torq prop hub on. apparently that makes a big difference.
Keen to hear what you think of it after a few hours on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 1:00pm
harryh View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This boat in the pic with a 150 Merc and a 3 x 14.7 x 16 is now good for 41knts full of fuel 150 litres and 1 person on a flat day. Burnt 38 litres for 33 miles but some of that running was flat out. Yep I agree just needs the Flow Torque hub and it would be hard to beat. This boat full of fuel on the trailer is 2200kg as well. So plenty of grunt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 1:37pm
Silver
Silver

harryh, is that the Ultimate 21 Elite?? Aluminium with fiber glass linings??

what a sexy beast!!!

Thanks for the tip Waihime and harryh.

I did go to the boat shop just now and spoke to the dealer about putting this Flow torque... happy to go with that as it didn't increase the price too much haha!

Cheers,
FK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 4:03pm
harryh View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah it is and goes as good as it looks I must say. The guys at Mercury when they have done tests said it is like riding in a GRP brand of boats they supply engines to. No pounding and road noise that you can get from Alloy boats sometimes. The fuel economy is really good to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 9:37am
Silver
Silver

They are pretty awesome. I just couldn't stretch my budget that far haha. I actually have test driven one of these. Mark took me out for a spin here in Tauranga. I'm sure they will still be there in 5 years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:10pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well now new boat has been delivered thought I should update. After choosing the new Suzuki 150AP Lean Burn I ended up being told by the dealer there weren't any available in the country, but I could have a 175AP, so decided on that.
Then got told that wasn't available either so went right back to a standard 150 Suzuki. After much discussion with the dealer he advised the Suzuki was a smoother running motor than the Merc.
So after several trips in the new boat here's my observations.
I was told I won't be able to get over how quiet this motor is on a glass boat compared to my old tin boat. To be honest I think my old tin boat (which had the same 150 Suzuki) may have been quieter, but it had a Vibrastop fitted and I didnt't spec one on the new boat, so proved these things really work.
Next is performance. Both old and new boats are 6mtrs. The old one being a 610 Extreme, new one a 605 Buccaneer. At 4000rpm the old boat would be doing around 40 - 42kph. The Buccaneer at the same rpms is doing around 45 - 47kph.
Most reamarkably is fuel usage (to the point I'm going to check accuracy of gauge) went to a regular spot in the weekend and round trip used 16ltrs. The old boat doing the same trip was at least 20ltrs. The new boat is considerably heavier including extra fuel carried, so I really am struggling to believe this fuel usage.
So while I am unable to offer much more of a comparrison between outboards, I hope the comparrison in hull types is of interest to some.
Overall I'm happy with the final result, but know I'll always wonder "what if" when I start to see those new 150AP Learn Burns start to appear!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 1:10pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

anything under 1litre per nm is fine for a 150hp 4stroke
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:06pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

anything under 1litre per nm is fine for a 150hp 4stroke

Not saying I'm not happy with new performance - quite the opposite! So much so its seems a bit too good compared to old boat, hence the plan to check actual consumption on the next fill to ensure gauge is reading right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:27pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fiberglass boats, with their moulded in planing strakes on the bottom of the hull, tend to trap water underneath, which gives better lift. Gel coat is also smoother than alloy..so less friction?
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Page  <123