Best inshore islands/pinnacles in top half NI?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best inshore islands/pinnacles in top half NI?
    Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 2:44pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did a lot of spot hunting on my holidays up north.

I found a lot of shore based spots. But I also saw a lot of Islands.

I find islands like Tiri often dont have good vis. But every time I visit the mercs Ive had good vis.

I saw islands like the Cavallis up north and wondered if they would be like Tiri.

Also places like around the corner of opito bay or the rock shelves off KariKari look enticing.

I know its season, swell, spawning dependant etc, but are there some spots that are generally considered good vis more often than not?

Getting another boat soon, so keen for some inshore or near shore island spearing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizzlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:50pm
Fizzlesticks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hen and chicks, Aldermans, Mayor Island and White Island are generally the best. The rest can be a bit hit and miss
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:28pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks mate. i get frustrated as often days i expect to be good vis are not so good, thats life. but im sure some islands are better than others. for example i find Tiri which use to be my local, often very cloudy, and of course sharky lol, not a great mix for retaining fish haha.

i havnt dived white island, only done some snorkelling out there, but was beautiful. hen and chicks and aldermans would be easiest access for me. also wonder what little  barrier and the outer pinnacles of the cavallis is generally like, have dived and fished the cavallis a lot over the years and havent found a rhyme or reason for why some days are good vis and others not so.