Penn 16vsx

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penn 16vsx
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 7:36pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Steve, 

Just wondering if you have had the chance to look over a penn 16vsx? from what i understand they are a little tank built to fish braid?

How would they compare to a talica? i understand the talica is a newer more refined reel so should operate smoother than the penn but im after the most robust reel i can find for 80lb braid dropping for kings,puka and livebaiting for marlin, im not worried about smoothness, i want strength.

I can get the penn for roughly $535 so the price is also attractive!

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 7:04am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Brett
Thanks for your enquiry regarding Penn 16VSX versus Talica , here is the exploded view schematic of the new Penn 16VSX :
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/407N-16vsx
as you can see it has a twin drag washer system which can easily fish 80lb line drag, they are still made in USA and I personally rate them highly for strength, durability and reliability, however without knowing the size of Talica reel you are comparing with , I am unable to judge this , Shimano do a great job of mass producing very well made reels with fantastic marketing, however I do see the same issues with premature bearing failure and corrosion when they are neglected by anglers who assume their 10 year warranty covers everything, good luck with that, cheers swordfishsteve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 6:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Steve, thanks for getting back to me.

It wasn't so much a versus thing just everyone always goes on about the talica's (great marketing i guess) and from what i gather for good reason, but the vsx really struck a chord with me so i wanted to ask somebody with the most experience i could think of about my choice before buying a pair of reels!

Cheers mate its almost been keeping me up at night whether i pull the trigger or not! 

Thanks

P.S. Do you happen to know if the Squall VSW handles will fit without modification? Seems a cheep and easy upgrade.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:49am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

C'mon Brett buy those American muscle over Jap crap you know you want to! and stop listening to that dodgy topcatch shimano salesman
LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 11:32am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

C'mon Brett buy those American muscle over Jap crap you know you want to! and stop listening to that dodgy topcatch shimano salesman
LOL

Haha he's a changed man, hes sold me on a penn slammer!