bent hooks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bent hooks
    Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey guys
i have had a number of hooks that got bent out because they got caught on rocks. i have bent them back and checked their sharpness but are they still good to use or are they likely to be a lot weaker now that i have done this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:07pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good question. You would have to think that a hook has been weakened by doing this. However, I've done it plenty of times on hooks that have bent out only slightly and have never experienced any problems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:45pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are these #16 trout hooks?

Seriously, I've never bent a hook that didn't first result in a broken tippet fly fishing. They must be pretty crap, I'd throw them all out and get some brand that wont bend. SL12 1/0 are a good starting point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 6:17am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I find a 1/0 SL12s hooked into a stalk of ecklonia kelp and pulled aggressively with a 20lb fluoro tippet will bend out a bit before releasing or ripping the kelp out. Used to happen lots when I was guiding. The trick of hovering your fly just above the kelp is a skill that can be hard to learn for a new client. 

The trouble is of course is that sort of pulling on the fly line roots the fly line by stretching the fly line coating separately from its core and very often ripping the bond between them. It's a good way to destroy a $140 fly line. Much better to use a lighter tippet and lose the fly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 6:55am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

they are the Daiichi hooks and they may not be as good as the SL12s i have never had one bend out on a fish. The areas that i have been fishing have had a bit of foul and i have managed to wreck a few by either bending out or bend the tip. Really need to find some areas that are a little less rocky.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:53am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fair call there Craig. I haven't bent many hooks, I rarely fish near the bottom and the crab fly fishing is over sand so it's not likely to be a prob.

Originally posted by nymphOmaniac nymphOmaniac wrote:

Really need to find some areas that are a little less rocky.

Thumbs Up