Boat setup - pimping my ride

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat setup - pimping my ride
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:00pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just before Xmas finally got my new boat.  
Prior to it arriving and since have been slowly adding bits (as u do).  Couple of forum members have stopped by to check out what i've done as well as offering advice.  Got a bit of info from here so thought i'd share what ive done,  payback.

Hopefully it'll be of interest and hopefully of help to some on here.

Firstly prior to it arriving i asked for a blank dash (no cutout).  While being a bit difficult to sort glad i did.  Didn't want the (huge) VHF they normally supply in prime real estate.  This i wanted mounted on the left so as either the driver or passenger can operate,  found this a major advantage when doing bar crossings and when we helped in a search and rescue training.

Also wanted all the gauges in a row and the auto-helm within reach of the passenger to disable,  hence the black trim was left off.

Got the feeling i was being awkward when getting this done,  but then first service and who do i meet.  Someone else in for a service that also asked for a blank dash.

Here's a pic of the dash
And i've still got room 

Last boat had a Lone star drum winch which was awesome.  Dragged the last boat though the mud to go fishing when the tide was to low and i didn't have the patience so the decision here was simple (like me)

Only this time it was the new GX3 model
again from http://www.chainsropesandanchors.co.nz/ fitted with chain guard

As i'm supposed to be working need to go but if there's interest fitted game poles again and been playing around with some lighting options which are nearly all fitted.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 2:55pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I hadn't seen the chain guard, looks a good option
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 3:42pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

I hadn't seen the chain guard, looks a good option

Heaps quieter,  supposed to be so i don't disturb the fish but then its not the first thing us fishermen have fallen for.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:17pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok side tracked again, well board at work anyway.
Seen lots a comments on here about underwater lights and on the last boat got a cheapish set which i mounted on the outboard pod.
They didn't do much so brought another set which i kept.

On both this boat and the previous i mounted under the pod,  this meant i could set the angle i wanted both left/right and down.
While not the top of the line these do work well and maybe have helped in the past.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 1:06pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lights, these have always generated questions and comments both here and various other sites so after trying different options on the last few boats here's what i did on this one.

Apart from the underwater lights all are Hella, tried others but found didn't last as long, didn't light as much and i think they look better as well as supporting the loacl economy.

Also had more options.  But then maybe I was just conned at the last couple of boat shows.

http://www.hellamarine.com/

Interior & under hardtop. Euroled touch lamps. Two colours and more important dimmable. Also since I actually installed them this time read the instructions and found that with the addition of an extra core to each light i can have a push button which will have all lights turning on to a dim-blue. (other options also). Stops fumbling around,  be great for larger boats.

Cockpit kept some of the blue strip lights off the last boat and these gave out plenty so in they went again.

Now the biggest problem we all seem to have is working and driving lights.  Last boat had a remote controlled LED spot light.  This I mounted to one side so as it also doubled as a working light,  average performance.   The boat next door also has a remote spot but with a Xenon lamp.  Again average and not much difference between the two.

Back to the boat show,  the guys on the Hella stand had me wondering but then I spoke to a few others with working boats I met out there, they also rated the Hella lights.

So the side was simple as I just needed a clean flood, the pic below shows these which are mounted on a piece of teflon so while being firm are also easily adjusted.

Back to the spot,  got one of the new Sea Hawks (I think their called) and mounted this on the top.  Apart from not wanting to drill more holes I mounted this on a flat plate so as I can adjust it,  both forward and back as well as up down.

Put this on and first problem,  it’s bright.  A neighbours bedroom is approximately 45mtrs away in front of the boat.  Turned this on and it lit up their bedroom window easily at this range,  an area of about 3mtrs x 2mtrs.  Text arrives saying “WTF”.  So another cable was run and a double switch installed enabling the light to be switched on full or low.

Heading up the harbour the other night there’s plenty of light to see but I ran this on low.  While not blinding others they were aware of me coming.  Seemed to work as the number of torches that came on with unlit boats in front, so a good thing.

The high power will be interesting when caught out or returning late into another port without the city lights and it’s a dark night.

Was considering mounting two using their double mounting bracket but think I’ve got enough light with one.  The neighbours impressed and I think he’s swapping out his remote spot for one soon although knowing him he’ll keep both.

Next project, the baitboard,  got a plan here just trying to sort the canvas.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:50pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice set up.

How bright do you find the switch panel lighting at night ?

I have the same and wondering whether I should have a dedicated switch for the lighting circuit, or DPST witch for dash-lights and anchor light.

I'm thinking either side of the steering wheel below

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:51pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi MIke,  short answer to bright and with most electronics to many buttons to push.
Most of my night driving i don't need all the dash electronics so i've just put the covers on :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:26pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Otto Otto wrote:

Hi MIke,  short answer to bright and with most electronics to many buttons to push.
Most of my night driving i don't need all the dash electronics so i've just put the covers on :-)

Just to be clear I was specifically asking about those 4 way and 8 way switch panels.  I have 6 way in the same series.

Are  they are quite bright?

If they are I will mount them on the side of the helm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 9:51pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No don't find them bright at all, just the gauges
Sorry thought u meant the instruments
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:08pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice, will need to check out before doing mine.
If i read correctly you are having issues with guages, check the settings should be able to dim. My dash guages have multiple settings and you can also dom the radio backlight.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 9:48pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Love that wide forward facing led setup on the cabin top. We run a bigger thing on a dozer at work for night time and its like looking into the sun......good that you have a low setting so there wont be too many boaties blinded.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks to the weather managed to get another project pretty well complete on the boat.
Was after cockpit and bait-board lighting, seen a few where they have a spot under the hardtop and didn't like that idea due to the coverage, intense brightness and the possibility of banging my head.
Had an idea and spoke to a couple of canvas guys who while saying they were keen never returned a call or email.

So,  off to the shop brought some webbing and a buckle then dropped in at a sail maker a couple of stitches and done.  Simple.

Back home sewn on the lights,  clip in place sorted.  well almost just need to get a waterproof plug and the wiring will be hidden.

Anyway yet to try at sea on a dark night but so far impressed, minimal shading on the bait-board and good coverage.  The lights i used (which i had) were the Hella strip lamps white http://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/interior-exterior-lamps/strip-lighting/led-surface-strip-lamps.html

But if i was doing this again i'd possible forget the cockpit lights and go with the blue/white option with a switch.  http://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/interior-exterior-lamps/strip-lighting/surface-strip-lamps-with-switch.html

Totally separate to the shade cover and easily removed.

Anyway any of you Surtees owners interested and want more details lets know,  cost, less than $30 plus lights and a bit of time.