Loop knot forensics

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loop knot forensics
    Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:24pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A while ago I hooked up on a toddler kahawai ( about half kilo)and it busted a loop knot tied on a 10kg trace, and I wondered how that was possible. The break was in the actual loop, not at the knot.

Today I looked at my loop knot tied yesterday, with 10 kg fluorocarbon,  which saw about 2 hours fishing and got a shock:
There is distinct wearing at the apex of the loop. 

The fly is a 1/0 clouser pattern. And there is a smidgen of rust in the eye of the hook - is that all it takes to wear down the line?

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:39pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Guess so by the look of it!
Any idea what the hook is?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Guess so by the look of it!
Any idea what the hook is?

Its a Mustad pattern #2330. Tied up some flies on them a couple of years back, most of them gone to decorate Meola reef in various places.

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:38am
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

High carbon steel, so despite corrosion resistant finishes I guess it got rusty?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:18am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I'm thinking contact with rocks on the back cast could be more of an issue here Wolfie. I know it is for me with wear and tear on the loop. I have had some of the harder fluoro brands break at the knot itself, but this damage probably occurred as I pulled the knot tight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Icant see in the pic clear.. but have has issues with some brand hooks.. where the eye is rolled over the end of the shaft is not square and hard down on the shaft...there is a small gap and sharp end of the wire.
It can also be an issue snelling, depending which side of the eye (the join side or shaft side) the line goes around , coming off the shaft, thru the eye.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:06am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Think I posted a similar pic a couple of years back wolfie. It is what you get with loop knots, that's just the way it is.

I don't blind cast of cast a heck of a lot so its not an issue these days. If I do spend time casting, I check it and retie it as necessary. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 5:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yes I've got lazy this summer and often have washed down gear after fishing and left it rigged up for an easy start next time. Obviously re-tying the fly will need to introduced into the work flow.

Just never had the same problem with the good old trapped clinch knot ... Wink

The Auckland Swoffer