Strayline'n in 4mtrs of water on a far Nrth harbor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strayline'n in 4mtrs of water on a far Nrth harbor
    Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 7:11pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Straylining in 4mtrs of water on a far North harbor

Stray-lining the shallows in the far North can be very rewarding and each time I head North I make sure to fish one of my favorite spots in Rangaunu harbor - heading up the harbor into 4mtrs of water it's a place that can produce some solid double figure fish at times. Dropping a big burley can bring in a variety of diff fish that call the upper harbor home. It's one very special place and this trip once again produced some ...nice harbor Snaps.

Getting to our spot just after daybreak we set the burley and I cubed up a few pillies to throw in to add to the mix, it always seems so fishy this spot and every time I go there I can never wait to get a bait out - it's one of those special places that always gives you those goose bumps, the chills down your back it's just magic.... This trip didn't fail us although they weren't large fish we were hooking into they were in prime condition as always. It didn't take long for them to come on the bite for us and they bit right through the tide then back again on the turn.

This trip Pea gets sharked by a big harbor Bronzy the first for us at our spot, after hooking into a nice harbor Snap and just when he thinks he's about to land it the big Bronzy thinks otherwise...

We are still yet to hit a 20lb fish with most standard fish being around 2-3kilo with the odd 10lb fish being caught as well, I have had a few solid fish on that would have defiantly been in double figures but not yet boated which draws me back to the harbor over and over again.

I'm hopping to be back up there in Oct to give it another shot so maybe we boat a solid Red from the harbor then.

Tight Lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:02pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another great video, its helping me survive as fishing is limited here as im trapped in a wellington summer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Northern Express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:21pm
Northern Express View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice video, cheers guys!
If cats could talk, they would tell lies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 10:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice video and some lovely fish. Nothing quite like straylining the shallows, we do a little of that in the Manukau.  Amazing what can turn up in 4m or less.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:49pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by King Con King Con wrote:

Another great video, its helping me survive as fishing is limited here as im trapped in a wellington summer
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Nice video and some lovely fish. Nothing quite like straylining the shallows, we do a little of that in the Manukau.  Amazing what can turn up in 4m or less.

Cheers guys - yip a lot of fun - We strayline 2-4mtrs on the Kaipara a lot with great success...even the small mod's around 35-40cm in that shallow can show up a big fish on a norm strayline sesh...