Steelhead Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steelhead Dreams
    Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 10:32am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Well worth watching. A great advert for spey casting. Spey casting to ray riding kingfish anyone?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 10:52am
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Is there any advantage to spey casting over normal old fashioned casting?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Raptor 650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 1:55pm
Raptor 650 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Longer casts possible and you don't need much room behind you which is often the case in those North American rivers with pine trees down to the waters edge in some and high stone banks behind you in the bigger systems. Its also a lot easier to do all day once you get the timing right .Tried it on the Tongariro a few times but in comparison to the rivers in north america the post hydro scheme Tongariro really is a bit small to truly take advantage of the spey\skagit system. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:05am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm a recent convert to skagit/spey and frankly biffing fluffy indicators pales in comparison - for me. I've down-scaled my rig to a Sage ONE 4116 (#4 11'6") which is a great trout rod. Its brought me back to the Tongariro big time, and there's a world of 'swinging' water to discover. New flies to tie, and a nice adrenaline jolt when a fish hits - woooooh

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:09am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kaimaikid kaimaikid wrote:

None that I can see for SWF. But standing waist deep in a river with no back casting room and being able to huck out a fly and cover a run that no one else would fish - that's the bonus of the 'modern' spey systems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:39am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea a nice rod for sure Nick.  Iv fished double handers for the last 4 years and have always been a Scott Rods man (T3H).  Had a go with a mates 11'6" 5# Sage One last week and I had to say I quite liked it.  Very light in the hand and not as rocket fast as I was expecting which was nice.  Defiantly not as good at delivering large flys as my T3H 7# & 8# but a lot nicer tool to play fish on.   

Wouldn't mind one myself for the coming autumn? Although im told that Swift will be bringing out their new line of carbon double hander's soon?  April Vokey has been refining their design and as soon as they hit the shelves il be getting one!!! Wink  

As for saltwater, I reckon double handed fly will take over at river mouths for salmon fishing in time?  Ability to deliver a large fly in those situations means its a deadly method.  I read recently about a couple of guys who went to a river mouth with all the metal chucker's and caught three fish in the time the metal brigade caught non.  

But as for general saltwater its only real application is for those with physical problems with there casting arm.  I know a couple of older gents that used double handers for fishing the beaches around WA as it meant that they could still get a decent cast out past the breakers without all the load on the one injured casting arm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:03pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Originally posted by kaimaikid kaimaikid wrote:

None that I can see for SWF. But standing waist deep in a river with no back casting room and being able to huck out a fly and cover a run that no one else would fish - that's the bonus of the 'modern' spey systems.

You need current. Hence it works in a river. Big cast and let it swing. Without current... ...big cast... ...no swing.

We did it at Flytackle in 2016 in the salt. Actually worked quite well for the edges of big sand banks with tide moving over them.

So if you're thinking using this for that scenario with the advantage of been able to fish a range of depths by changing heads... you're on the right track.

Probably easier to stick with ray riders for a few years. They're gimmies.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:18am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I could see that scenario working Millsy. Haven't tried it but could be fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Someone is VERY excited!!! Can you guess who?? TongueTongue

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 7:35pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting to see an up-locking reel seat on a two hander?

They sure are different over there at Epic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:20am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Millsy Millsy wrote:

Interesting to see an up-locking reel seat on a two hander?
 You think?????

Pretty common really.  Just like conventional rods some choose up locking, some choose down locking.  My Scott T3H 11' 8# is an up locking reel seat and a mates Redington Dually is an up-locking.  Cant say iv ever noticed manufacturers choosing down locking over up locking on any production double handed rod? Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 4:23pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well there you have it. Thanks for the info.

The theory with downlocking is to move the weight of the reel further south to compensate for the length of a spey rod. Guess its one of those 50/50 things then.