Taking Scouts fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking Scouts fishing
    Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:54pm
Rockhopper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

Blimey , been ages since I've been on here . Life got in the way and somehow I ended up as a Scout master. Don't laugh but its actually quite fun. Tongue

Anyway the theme for this term is getting kids out on the water and I'm looking to get two groups of around 20 kids , average age 13 , plus 4 accompanying adults out on a couple of evening charters. Must depart Westhaven. Monday 13th February + Thursday 16th February depart around 5pm.

I'm not after anything complicated , one of the channels or off Rangi somewhere. Half the kids have never been on a boat, a few have been on odd occasions and some might even have half an idea.

Anybody got any ideas ? Cheap is good also anybody doing discounts for kids first time out ?

Andy

Boulder, Smudge, Taggit, Bazza ... is anybody still here from years ago ??
Why does the answer to all government problems involve taking more of my money ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Oh Dear God I've just seen my profile date. Did I really join in 2002 !!!
Why does the answer to all government problems involve taking more of my money ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 4:36am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha good luck.i had 20 cubs to make lines and go fishing off maraeti wharf yep interesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 6:03am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nope, haven't seen Smudge in ages Big smile. Hows'it going Andy? There are plenty of options, Tagit is involved with a charter 2XS.

Red Boats would be the cheapest option for what you are looking for, but you get what you pay for.Depends what your budget is I guess.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 6:37am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Welcome back RockHopper & all the best with your "take a scout fishing" proposal ... just yell out if you need a hand with anything.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:54am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome back stranger. We can take the 24 pax no problem on our big cat, but we only fish ~12 anglers at a time so that you aren't untangling lines every 5 minutes. Would mean the kids taking turns, but with the 4 adults and 2 crew would mean 1 adult helping 2 kids fishing at a time which would work OK.

Other Westhaven boats that will fish the larger numbers are -
- Majuro (Fish Wranglers) (maybe not 20 though. Might be 18 limit I think)
- Sea Hawk (not sure if they can carry 24 but do fish 20 at a pinch)
- Seasprite (the largest option and pretty sure fish 20. Also most expensive iusually)
- Red boats (have the numbers and cheapest, rolly old tubs though so hope no one gets seasick)

On the better boats you are normally around $90 - $110 per head for evening trips. You could probably get a bit of a deal for the scout group and 2 bookings. At a guess say $65 - $70 per pax. Red boats might be around $45 - $50 I think (could be less as a group), but they travel at half the speed so the fishing time is reduced also.

Hope that helps. If you are coming down to Westhaven let me know as I will likely be there and can say hello.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:09pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys. Blimey I didnt expect to see so many familiar names still on here.

Yeah I looked at red boats and your right , a rolly tub in the Auckland slop isn't the greatest. I wouldn't want 20 kids fishing at the same time time, too many chances to get an eye poked out.

There is an angling badge they can do so we get half the kids doing this bit and then swap them around. They have to be able to tie a few knots , identify different species , know a bit of water safety , habitat and feeding behaviour, catch sizes and bag limits.

Dave, lets see if we can work something out.  I'll pop down for a chat Monday or Tuesday lunchtime as I work at Victoria Park.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 3:11pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will be great to catch up again Andy. Text me first on 021669150. Tuesday is probably better as I will probably be away from Z Pier on Monday for a decent part of the day.