What's in your tool/spares box?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 3:42pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Indeed, respect to the oily hands of Diesel engine owners.
No. 8 wire attitude prevails.
I'm a mere Fisherman in a tinny with a Yamaha 4stroke.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 9:04am
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Piece of stainless welding rod with a hook bent in the end.
For clearing the macerator in the hope of not having to pull the head completely apart
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 9:22am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jemry Jemry wrote:

Piece of stainless welding rod with a hook bent in the end.
For clearing the macerator in the hope of not having to pull the head completely apart
my macerator head is somewhere off tiri,do not ask for details,gone back to manual along with few others i know,seem good for 2/3 yrs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:27am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

I can't see myself soldering on a boat at sea.

Crimped connections and heat shrink are a lot easier.  I should really get a decent crimp tool for the boat.

Yes but in a marine environment crimps are subject to vibration and possibly movement which can make connections come loose over time as a jerry rig quick fix,then fine. Whereas soldering prevents that where the join becomes solid and strong and also tins the ends of the wire to help protect longer against corrosion.

Soldered joints are also vulnerable to vibration, because they can make a hard spot in a flexible conductor.  This is why ABYC requires soldered joints be physically supported in some way.

I used to solder everything.  Now I use crimp terminals insulated with adhesive heat shrink and an additional layer of heat shrink tube over the top.   It's a very robust connection and seems to be the standard method for wiring new boats in the US.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:50pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No need to buy all new spares like impellors, belts etc.

Just keep the old ones from the service on the boat with tools to fit them.

I have mine in the engine room hanging on the bulkhead.

Page  <12