kingfish trolling lures and set ups

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kingfish trolling lures and set ups
    Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 12:17pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so I wanna set up for kingfish trolling both west coast and east coast

planning to set up 4 rods which I have already a couple of TLD25's 50lb mono
and a couple of higher end spining reels spooled with 50lb and 80lb braid

so If I was going to buy four lures what ones and colours would you buy?
and how would you set them up? also how would your lure spread look

cheers in advance
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 1:19pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A couple of 8" skirted lures (Zuker or similar) in popular baitfish colours mackerel and squid, a couple of 8" diving minnows (Rapala or similar) in mackerel or pilchard, a couple of 6" cedar plugs in pilchard.

Change the trebles on the diving minnows for in-line singles. Trebles make it near impossible to release a small fish unharmed and loose trebles are very dangerous to fishermen's body parts!
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 8:09pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have always had more sucess trolling livebaits.personally.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 9:28pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

till ya cant get any like the other day we went to flat rock
tried lots of spots for bait on the way out with no luck
we had jigging gear and top water gear on the boat also
but when we got out there the forecast was little bit wrong and the conditions were not really suited to standing up and fishing in my fishcity 4.3m tinny the fish were there we had guys in bigger boats hooking up on jigs and topwater next to us if we had live baits we would of been in to them but none about I had one rapala onboard which we towed about for a bit had one good hit but dropped it

we pulled the pin and went snapper fishing in the bay instead but if we had a good trolling option we could of fished out there all day as was sweet sitting down
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captain.Gav. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:05pm
captain.Gav. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rapala deep diver 30, in light blue with the red bit under throat area. Works everytime.