Back(steaks) on the board

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back(steaks) on the board
    Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 1:14pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its been a few years since i had a genuine attempt at deer hunting, however the state of the weather down here in the south has made me want to do something to retain some amount of sanity (at least enough sanity to not have my rifles taken off me). 

So a couple of wednesdays ago i took the .223 for a walk in the hills. Spotted a nice hind, looked to be a yearling cast off, perfect eating size, lined up the shot just behind the front shoulder, squeezed the trigger, nailed her. Went to check the spot, found plenty of blood, heard some thrashing in the gorse nearby, found more blood ... and that was it. Tracked her for a good two hours until I couldn't see anything anymore and miserably made my way back to the truck, bemoaning the tiny little .223 rounds (more likely due to a shot that just zipped through without hitting anything vital enough to drop her quickly). 

Relayed the story to my wife the next day and almost fell over at her reply ... "get a bigger gun!" ... well bugger me!!! you dont need to tell any red blooded hunter/fisher twice to get a new toy, so down to the gunshop, and out with a brand new Sauer 100 .308 and 2 boxes of winchester deer season xp.

Back in the same hills on Saturday, seen two wild deer in a paddock on the way in - not being one to 5hit in my own yard I resisted the urge to see what the new rifle would do to the 4 point stag of the pair, but it put me in a hopeful mood

After 10km's of quietly making my way around the hills, spooking one yearling, watching my mate shoot a young deer, and realising i need some better insoles for the boots, I spotted my chance, 15m away standing broadside was a young stag with a couple of brand new knobs coming through. Lined up the shoulder (I dont shoot enough to go for headshots, no confidence in my rusty old skills anymore), squeezed the trigger, dinner! First animal I have taken home in about 3 years, now to figure out how I am going to balance my new found joy of hunting with my addiction to diving and fishing ... need more hours in the day!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:50pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff and good to see a post, 223's can be a little light, you need good shot placement for consistant success.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Jez. I screwed up a shot on a fallow with a .222 and while we did eventually get it, I started thinking it's not really a rifle for a novice like me.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:51am
Platinum
Platinum

yeah when i got the .223 i was thinking it was like riding a bike and I would be able to shoot as good as I did when I was younger and living on the farm - ie, out there shooting bunnies and possums everyday with a .22 - I like the idea of a smaller caliber, less damage to meat, but for someone who shoots once every couple of months, and then only to put down a deer, its just not practical.

That said, I did keep the .223 and will take it goat shooting in central otago with my daughter to satisfy her bloodthirst.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 8:52am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I found huge differences in my .223 rounds when hunting a while back, military copper jackets drilling straight through especially as you say when not in vital areas, other rounds much better.

.308 is certainly 'a bigger gun'...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 1:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Another animal taken the weekend just gone, this bad weather is turning out alright! She was a big yearling hind, could still make out her "fawn" spots in the hide, but she was in much much better condition than the stag i got the week before, back legs had a lot more weight to them.

Good thing too as we are fresh out of Blue Cod in the freezer - 3 weeks since our last fishing trip and the weather aint looking flash for the next week to 10 days also.

Heading up again this weekend to install a trail camera that a mate is loaning me. Hopefully will be able to provide a few photos of live animals in a couple of weeks Thumbs Up

Another friend has kindly rescoped the .223 and is taking it to his brother-in-laws place for some goat shooting over Waitangi weekend, goat to replace lamb in our house according to the chef/wife.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Its been 6 weeks since my last confession ... the weather has come good and have gone back to diving and fishing, family have decided we are getting a dog, I managed to veto all dog choices until we all agreed on a Chesapeake Bay Retriever x Labrador. Now we have a hunting companion that wont cop out after 5 minutes walking from the truck, should keep my daughter happy while I sit in the truck and sleep ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 7:47pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah the .22 calibers can be a bit light for red deer but mainly due to most rounds are built for varmint shooting, I have used my .222 Vixen (ex Police) for years with good results using a handload with a 60 grain Hornandy Soft point seems to nail them and such a light handy rifle to carry when fishing or armed tramping.