What's up with snapper in coromandel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wheremy20lbsnaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's up with snapper in coromandel
    Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 11:11am
Wheremy20lbsnaps View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello everyone, I been out like plenty of times since December to coromandel. Every day has been great cept for there isn't many snappers to keep, mainly because of kahawai keep stealing the bait, they seems to be everywhere in coromandel crazy and feeding on anything baits, lures, poppers, floats and plastic spoon lol pretty much everything that's on the surface.

Just want to know how's everyone else doing out there? Any tips how to catch snappers more effectively? I been stray lining all the time using pilchards, getting a lot of nibbles if it reached the bottom but only caught like 4pannies after all these time.. getting a bit tired going out that way from Auckland and going home with just kahawais.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 12:42pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

where abouts are you trying and what depth. This time of the year is often a bit harder with all the action in the water from boats seems to put them off the bite.
I went out 4 times and caught a meal each time but thats what I normally go for anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 3:27pm
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have you tried using Kahawhai for bait??
Can use the head whole, or half it, and use the fillets as long strip baits.
Pillies can be a bit soft and yep KY love them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 4:06pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The in close snapper fishing around Auckland is tough at the moment. Possibly because all these SWers are keeping the water temps down and the snapper are still staying wider than normal. You may be doing most things OK, but just suffering from the weather patterns we have been getting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 4:45pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is last years report,same problem
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/topic115498.html

Mania harbour and fish deadmans pt,lots of sub 30cm,so went to set cray pot under island and got asked what do you think you are doing,they are mania resident crays only,not to argue left pot on deck. ne kicked in monday morning so why not go to coro for lunch,ran in to harbour master who laid down the law about no name on dinghy and not wearing lifejackets,wanted my name but just ignored him as the problem would go away.in to town lunch weather fined up so out to whanganui island ,last bay and mussel farm,tormented by kings and one decent bust off,no kings for us.  Tuesday out to waimate island and mussel farm got a couple of keepers,had dredge for mussels as not sure about removing from buoys,is it theft?no1 boy got a small king 780,long time between drinks so he became steaks,ashore at waimate and got some oysters.got talking to barge operator and he said want decent snapper go in shallow at dusk as farms are holding juvinilles,he gave us a bucket of mussels to use as burley.so we went in shore by small boat passage theres a small island which we anchored overnight and deployed burley to be plagued by kahawai. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 7:15pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Here is last years report,same problem
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/topic115498.html

are doing,they are mania resident crays only,not to argue left pot on deck.

Hope you didnt steel any of the Happy Jacks (Elephant Cove) crays either they are all mine I tell yaWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 7:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm not too flash as a land based fisherman, mainly because I don't do much of that and when I do I target kahawai. I don't have much experience in your area either. Lures are always going to be kahawai magnets. If I was in your position the first thing I would do is to try and establish if the area holds snapper. Is it remote where you are fishing or is it easily accessible? If it is easy to get to and a lot of people fish there you won't get too many big snapper, they are wary fish.

When a snapper sets up shop he's probably going to stay a while whereas kahawai are just passing through, making them easy targets.

Get somewhere remote with a good wash going on and cast big baits such as an unweighted kahawai fillet out past the edge of the kelp. Don't leave it there too long or you won't get your gear back. A good berley trail will help, but it will bring in kahawai Big smile so big baits especially at this time of year may help.

What baits, hooks etc are you using and where are you fishing? Whole pilchards atre just too easy for kahawai to resist.

How did I go land based experts?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 8:55pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Skippy head