Fluro carbon leader

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fluro carbon leader
    Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 11:02am
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've been using 130lb mono leaders for years with out problems but am wondering who is using fluorocarbon- if so what do you recommend. Most of my jigging done at raglan, mayor and barrier. Reason for considering change is I'm have less success than I used to!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote groovyfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 5:34pm
groovyfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have not used fluorocarbon leaders myself but have recently dropped down in mono leader from 130lb to 80lb weight to get more hits. Admittedly only been chasing smaller harbour kings like this so far and will probably run 100lb on coast if not to lazy to change.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:53pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Fluorocarbon leaders have advantages over mono. 130lb is probably more than you need for the waters you fish. I would drop down to say 80lb fluorocarbon leaders and play around with smaller and lighter tackle and be prepared to enjoy a prolonged fight.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:37am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Personally ....i used to 150 pound mono for jigging in tiger country....I even used that at tairua.
100 pound flouro for live baiting.....i tried 130 pound flouro but less hits....100 pound flouro is pretty rugged stuff.......and good for where stealth is needed.......for jigging.....personally i dont think the invisible is so important as the jig is moving up but the heavier line will restrict the action of the lure to some degree.
       For gulf kings 50 pound to 100 pound is fine for kings......I always used 60 to 80 pound off the bricks.
But Personally....I wouldnt be in a rush to blame the thicker line on your lack of luck.....Maybe not so many fish around......finding what works on the day...eg live baiting or jigs.........sometimes its all on and they go for everything....sometimes they only go for livies...... But  60 to 100 pound flouro gives a lot of abrasion resistance should you use it but it costs more......i just use it to live bait myself but each to his own............Try doing some live baiting as well........its great when you feel a bit knackered from jigging all the time and quite often the bigger models prefer a live bait.......especially a Kohie !....widen your options.....a king on the line ...is a king on the line.

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 7:24am
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the feedback Chris and LBD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 7:25am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like the fluro in terms of holding up to abraision etc but I tend to use mono in 130-150 (what I put my hand on first) for a couple of reasons.

I am lazy so I tend to lift my fish by the trace unless they are getting decent. I swing them under my arm, pop the jig and send them back.

I don't wear gloves so prefer the larger diameter mono that stays more supple in heavier lines. Line cuts suck!

I also tie a game clip on the end of my trace with an AG chain knot and it ties easier and locks better with mono when your in a hurry and don't use pliers etc.

In terms of the game clip that's about doing tons of jigging and being lazy.......I throw different jigs on and if I'm not rigged I can clip a jig on and be dropping on sign in seconds.
I don't believe it hurts my catch rate at all but maybe I don't fish where they are timid?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 7:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Gary.......The AG Chain knot is designed for Flouro......there is very little stretch........
I have heard people say for mono...its not good.......maybe someone could clarify that but i thought of doing the same thing myself ie ag chain knot in mono.......would be like a bungy cord..........I also find PR knots bed into mono really nicely .........Flouro is hard.......so i dont trust it so much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

You may be right dude but I love that knot and have caught many many kings with it on mono.

I like the way it forms a protection above the jig if cudas are around.

I haven't noticed any difference with the spring one way or the other but I do know what you are talking about I can feel it when I tie the knot.

No matter what anyone says I will stick with it thats for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:04am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

You may be right dude but I love that knot and have caught many many kings with it on mono.

I like the way it forms a protection above the jig if cudas are around.

I haven't noticed any difference with the spring one way or the other but I do know what you are talking about I can feel it when I tie the knot.

No matter what anyone says I will stick with it thats for sure.
Cool.......Good to hear it has worked for you....The only downside is it would use a fair bit of leader each time ...if you needed to retie but it sounds worth it from here......Might give it a go myself next time i jiggy jiggy.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 10:40am
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I am pretty lazy.

I check my leader by running it through my hands and if it's good and clean I don't screw with it.

With my 250lb black game clips I can change jigs in seconds so retying is seldom needed...

I feel that the jig hangs completely loose on the game clip and they work pretty well. The line and knot don't influence the jig at all.

I have had small kings open clips a couple of times because they shake so quick. Bigger fish tend to pull smoother and shake slower.

Haven't lost any jigs this way, they tend to come in open and fall off in the boat if you use your rod properly.

I use jiffy clips for softies and micro's, same kind of deal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:05am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ive been using 80lb and have found that I have been catching more than the guys using 100lb +....
I just feel that its guna work the jig more freely and that equals more hookups. and if a fish is guna reef on 80lb its going to be pretty close to being reefed on 100lb also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:40pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yozuri fluro 130 lb for the kings or ranfurlys matched to pe8 is terrific.. ties good with a uni on a jigstar grommet with knotsleeve.. no need for ag. 80-100lb yozuri for my pe5 leader set up.  I favour the pr in tiger country but in the naki do fg knots because of the bloddy coutta. they love those pr knot bubble trailsAngry