Chain Joining links

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chain Joining links
    Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 2:48pm
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone had much experience with them?

i'm looking at extending my anchor chain. I can either add another 10 mtrs with a joiner, or just buy complete new chain and get it re-spliced onto the warp.

Just wasn't sure how good the joiners are, would hate to lose the anchor. 
 10.5mtr boat, 8mm short link chain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 5:17pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have read of this site,exact same question with some interesting answers.I have some joiners here and not sure my self??

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/11930-joining-links-safety-warning/?hl=chain%20joining
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 8:44pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Buy a new chain Jemry.
Installing a link or even using a shackle means you have just made the weakest link in the chain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:33pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a couple in my chain...BUT Im only 5.5m about 1100 kg
and around 9m of chain at the anchor.
I dont have anything like the weight on the chain you may experience, and If did would not be using joiners.
 I dont know anything about welding links...that maybe an option???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 11:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My concern is galv chain,s/s joiner some possible reaction,either in the water or chain locker and whats more relying on hammer over 2 pins?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 7:49am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jemry, a critical factor besides strength is whether the chain joiner will run through the pulley on your anchor winch. A shackle will most likely jam. 
If the joiner causes a jam then you end up owning two short lengths of chain.
I would recommend a chat with the experts at http://www.chainsropesandanchors.co.nz/ before committing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 9:05am
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Don18025 Don18025 wrote:

Jemry, a critical factor besides strength is whether the chain joiner will run through the pulley on your anchor winch. A shackle will most likely jam. 
If the joiner causes a jam then you end up owning two short lengths of chain.
I would recommend a chat with the experts at http://www.chainsropesandanchors.co.nz/ before committing.

Yes those were some of my worries Don, will hopefully get over to Glenfield today cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 12:22pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I work in logging industry and we use joiners called hammerlocks to join chains or attach  to eyes. They come in various sizes and i can't see any boat breaking them. Available from places that do industrial wire ropes etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 10:16am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Chain joining links are used on commercial vessels.   A quality link will be robust and reliable and go through winches etc like just another chain link.

But ... the ones I'm familiar are secured by rivets that need to be peened so not the easiest DIY option.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 11:32am
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spoke to "Chains/Ropes & Anchors" in Glenfield, joining links no problem, BUT, in his opinion there is only 2 worth using, 1 - an italian made one has been hard to get hold of for a few months. 2 - a canadian made one has also been hard to get over the last couple of months due to changing their production site, but hopefully in the next month there will be some in NZ.