Puffer Fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Puffer Fish
    Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I assume this is some form of Puffer Fish bought in by the northern currents. It was caught 300m off Whangaruru and on a Bonze lure. I think these are also found in marlin stomachs. Beaut colour...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:54pm
matto1234 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Foul hooked? Never seen one like that before if you still have it freeze it and send to te papa?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:59pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great catch! Hard to tell exact species from the pic but looks like it is probably a juvenile spotted burrfish. I've caught them before. They're pelagic bluewater residents as youngsters and have that beautiful blue colouration.

Check out - http://marine.wikia.com/wiki/Spotfin_Burrfish

That reference refers to Gulf of Mexico, but they are found worldwide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:45pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Craig;

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 5:00pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

These school up in large numbers sometimes, There were lots of them just inside the Mokes late last season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 5:33am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Xtoad. I think you'll find the offshore puffer like this that is occasionally seen in big numbers is the: starry toado (Arothron firmamentum)

There is a pic here-