JETSKI SOUNDER TROUBLE

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JETSKI SOUNDER TROUBLE
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 3:57pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey to all as as jetskis are not my expertise.  I thought Id post up a wee bit of trouble I am trying to sort out.

My younger brother had a nice yamaha 1600 na ski. 45 hours on the clock and hes after game fish. He lives on the sunshine coast so has some of the most accessible game fishing on the planet on his door step. Now hes no slouch on the ski and asked my advice on sounders.

As i love my Lowrance i had a look around the net and noticed the Lowrance hook3 looked the good - small, wont break the bank and has all the features he needs etc and had good water resistance rating so off he went picked it up installed it dash mount style (some cutting and in glove compartment) and loved it. 

Trouble is its a piece of crap and has blown up from water intrusion on his second run. Just from spray through the sd card holder. He dried it iff and went for another run. Same thing. Needless to say hes gutted and has since read these units have alot of trouble with even light rain. 

notice the dried spray after a quick 1hr run in fairly nice conditions

and the amount of water thats somehow gotten past the "water resistantAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry seal"

What would you recommend. My.HDS5 GEN2 has been soaked loads and never had an issue on my surtees 5.5 but for his ski. CN you help -
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 4:52pm
matto1234 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mount it inside the compartment, yes i realise you have to lift the lid to view but its watertight and you can go through waves or roll the ski and have no issues
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 5:15pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My Humminbird 597 is mounted on the glove box of the ski and has never missed a beat. Prior to the ski, I had it on a kayak and it got a couple of dunkings, as in total immersion. Again, no problems.

When I'm fishing, I'm glancing at the sounder almost all the time. When I'm travelling in harbours, I'm keeping an eye of the chart plotter. There's no way an internal mount would work for me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:27pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I dont mean to hijack the thread but I have a Humminbird 597 (as above) that I may sell if you decide to go that way. Pm if your interested mate. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Just got to work out the warrentee as there is no way.abit of spray should have blown sizzled and.smoked unit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:11am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Having had an Elite on my IRB I definitely think Lowrance are not the best in wet conditions. You shouldn't be too worried about the water around the SD, the SD slot itself is actually fully sealed off from the internal electronics.

Did you have a fuse on your power?

If you end up getting a new sounder, get a Simrad GO series.  They are far superior in build and functionality.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seasider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:38am
Seasider View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jake we are putting Raymarine on all our skis we sell, are proving the most water repellent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 1:23pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Raymarine a series were better than the Lowrance, but their touchscreens were terrible in the wet.  A drop of water was enough to make the unit think you were touching the screen.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 7:42am
Platinum
Platinum

Just an update. So things have gone alittle pear shaped. He decided to do a service. And despite all best attempts 2 plugs were so corroded in so bad the head was removed. Driled and tapped to the two to a bigger thread. Turns out the original owner didnt do any maintenance just 45 hrs then let it sit.. He pulled everything apart new gaskets plugs. Whiles hes at.it hes doing new fuel pump and pretty much every perishable to reduce the chance of any reliability issues. Its all back together now running well. Still has to take the sounder unit back and he will likely sika flex the whole thing shut.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 7:43am
Platinum
Platinum

Yes and thanks for the replies. he has a fuse and as hes cut a hole for the unit i believe he wants to keep the same one just fix the water issue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 9:09pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Black tape over the card port and silicon is what most kayakers do.
Turtle free since 2012