power bank / jump starter

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power bank / jump starter
    Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 11:58am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hi i was wondering if anyone is able to share their thoughts about power bank/jump start units?

im keen on getting a couple for our emergency kits...

id like it them to hold heaps of charge and be pretty versatile.

id be interested to know if anyone has used them for an e-reel too

thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 12:54pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looked into one and purchased from Maverick Technologies - their mid range jump starters are lithium ion batteries (not Nicads) which last longer and better performance lots of ports/options USB battery jump start and smart charging options sensing of jump start battery etc even comes with 12V lighter socket. Amazingly small and flexible - felt the basic supercheap/trade me ones were cheap but not the whole answer.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 1:03pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bought one of the powerall lithium battery packs recently.  Amazingly small for the power they hold, and only need charging every few months unlike the older lead/acid battery packs that you need to charge every month.  I see Repco have the 600A one on offer at $199 in their latest flyer.  Here are the s[ecs from the powerall web site http://thepowerall.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=304_305&product_id=99
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:30pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thsnks fellas. is there much difference between the 600 and 1800 amp options in terms of what they can be used for or how long they last?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 8:58pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been wondering how one of these would go having around 45 amps been drawn out for 90 secs?
 A one off then re charge?
 Thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 9:28pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the $150.00 one from Burnsco. Blooooooody great. Started cars and my deisel ute too. No problem at all. A must have on the boat. Also some little birdy told me it'll run an electric reel all day. I haven't tried it for thet YET.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 9:12am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

be great if they could run an ereel all day... i need to update my ereel battery too!

am thinking the bigger the number of amps the longer it should last lifting heavy loads from the deep (300m+) ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 1:07pm
Titanium
Titanium

Anything is possible just depends how much you want to spend and how portable it has to be?  Work out what you need (max draw amps X time) and google it.  Seems to me a jump start option is a good bonus to have as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 1:26pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You need to think carefully about what you want it for.  If using it as an emergency power supply to start the motor then using it all day to power an electric reel may not be such a good idea.  Be a bit of a bugger to find you have a flat battery and that your power pack doesn't have enough power to start the motor because you have run it down using your electric reel.  

Could use for both, but be careful to work out how much power your reel is likely to use and buy a pack with plenty of spare power left over.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 1:37pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Been wondering how one of these would go having around 45 amps been drawn out for 90 secs?
 A one off then re charge?
 Thoughts?

Looking at the powerall I gave the link to it has a capacity of 59.2 watt hours and a 45A load at 12v would be 540W.  So 59.2/540 is 0.11hours, or about 6.5 minutes.  So 90s should be no problem, you could do it 4 times before recharging.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 5:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats about what I guessed at.
A you know I have for the last 3 or4 yrs regularly pull the boat up (keel trailer) with a old 2nd hand B&D 18v 1.2 AH Cad stormcloud on high speed
 Finally it is deciding to give a few whisps of smoke.
 Try and find out current current draw specs of drills like this is impossble
 It would pull up around 1100 kg in 70 to 75 seconds and could get around 3 and 1/2 pulls about of a charge.
 1.5 ah is fine when used over longer periods to work out, but as soon as those period get short all the formula and stuff goes out the window....

If using it as an emergency power supply to start the motor then using it all day to power an electric reel may not be such a good idea.  Be a bit of a bugger to find you have a flat battery and that your power pack doesn't have enough power to start the motor because you have run it down using your electric reel. 
 Which is where a lead acid portable starter pack comes in... have double ended cig light extension.. one end in the dash cig lighter the other in the lead acid jumper socket while the engine is running, charges up with the main battery.  Then main battery turned off, run all the sounders etc off the jumper ...
BUT rem to pull the jumper out when firing up the engine otherwise will blow the jumper/ cig lighter fuse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 7:59pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers fellas. am thinking of getting 2...one for emergency and another for the ereels. not sure how much load they put on batteries tho so a bit uncertain if they'll cope. my previous setup was an 80ah lead acid and i could get a full day of deep drops on 2 reels out of it just fine (and pull up chunky bns and bass as well). im not convinced yet the power bank packs the same punch tho? when it says 600amp does that mean 600ah?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 8:11pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wouldn't buy one for the reels untill you can confirm they'll do the job, remember the manufacturers probably didn't think of this as a use for them. Buy one for the boat and use it for the reels first. Let us know how you go. Like I said I have yet to prove mine works.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 8:45pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

cheers fellas. am thinking of getting 2...one for emergency and another for the ereels. not sure how much load they put on batteries tho so a bit uncertain if they'll cope. my previous setup was an 80ah lead acid and i could get a full day of deep drops on 2 reels out of it just fine (and pull up chunky bns and bass as well). im not convinced yet the power bank packs the same punch tho? when it says 600amp does that mean 600ah?

No, 600A/Hr is amps per hour so no way. 600 Amps in this repsect would be probably a CCA - Cold Cranking Amps rating which would only be for up to a minute.

Do the power banks state what battery capacity is inside it, if not open the hood and have a look and report back to the class?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 9:30pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

600A is the maximim discharge, not capacity.  The capacity is 59.2watt/hours.  So it will power something using 59.2 watts for 1 hour, or 29.6 watts for 2 hours, 14.8watts for 4 hours -you get the idea.  The tricky thing is probably working out how many minutes per hour, on average, you are running the reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel should have max current draw in the specs... and those things ar geared right down small high speed motor ... so current will be very low
As above a 1.5ah 18v cad will pull a boat 1100kg boat for around 70sec 3 and a 1/2 times...
 also as mentioned advantage of lead acid / jumper packs.. can recharge off the cig lighter / boat alternator..
 I dont know what the lith jumper packs chargers adapt to but do know they cant be charged of a lead acid boat/ car alternator

So it will power something using 59.2 watts for 1 hour, or 29.6 watts for 2 hours, 14.8watts for 4 hours

thats ball park.. as the times get shorter / amps greater the actual discharge state becomes significantly less.. its not directly dividable , more so as amps/ increase/ time decreases.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 9:51am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers - very helpful advice thanks. ill research draw of max load on the ereels. we use big sinkers to get the gear down 300-500m in our big tides and haul up even without fish takes a while so whatever battery solution i go for has to handle the load. if i can find out the specs ill post them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 10:16am
Titanium
Titanium

My Maverick Technologies jump starter battery pack weighs 615grams is  model  E power 21 which will do 30 jump starts is rated at 66.6Wh and 12V 10amp so it isn't going to run a reel all day, you have to read specs carefully but wont be 600a/h says can deliver starting current of 300 amps and peak of 600amps. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 10:15pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These little packs do not have a great capacity to run long term loads. Their specialty is short bursts of high power. As in 600 amps for 5 seconds, which is a long cranking time.
A 60 wh battery, at 12 volts, is only a 5 ah battery.current times voltage = watts.so 5 amps for an hour. 50 amps for 6 min, 500 amps for 36 seconds.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 8:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A 60 wh battery, at 12 volts, is only a 5 ah battery.current times voltage = watts.so 5 amps for an hour. 50 amps for 6 min, 500 amps for 36 seconds.
 The rely is rated at 60 amps.. most stuff like this has at least a 50 to 100% over rated ...And that is at the units max load...
 So if the unit real max load is say 75%  assuming 30 amps will be well on the high side....and 30 amps for around 70 / 80 secs should still be well in the range???
 After all a 1.5 AH cad 18v battery will pull well just over 2 1/2 pulls before showing signs of slow down at the same weight and speed.

As meantioned before .. the AH rating is correct for 30 hrs, in real life, as that time becomes significantly shorts  usually around  5 to 10 hrs then the calculated time starts to decrease at an increasing rate dramatically

These little packs do not have a great capacity to run long term loads. Their speciality is short bursts of high power. As in 600 amps for 5 seconds, which is a long cranking time.

I do know they run light loads rather well over long periods...and many short very high loads ie starting a engine, several times .. then with a rest period do it again nps.

It is how they handle 70 to 80 seconds continuous for around the 20 to 40 amps curious.