89 Kiwi Killed In 1080 Drop

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 6:21pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TTK - I don't think anyone is arguing that we shouldn't be trying to protect our natural wildlife. It is just the method that is being questioned. Just because 1080 is 'cheap', it doesn't make it right. We could probably fund an alternative, less toxic, plan with less side kills by halving the beehives booze bill, so the fact that the money required doesn't end up in DOC's pocket and they have to go for the cheapest solution is no excuse for dumping tonnes of poison all over our country. Don't blame DOC (for anything other than lying about 1080), but do blame the government for how they prioritise funding.

We keep on hearing that 1080 is the most cost effective solution. Doesn't make it the right solution just because our government doesn't stick the right amounts of money in the right buckets. They easily spend $millions on anything that they feel politically advances their cause, just need some of that to end up in more useful budgets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:57am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting report in todays Herald. Doc's monitoring shows that they are getting a 12% kill rate of Kea where they drop 1080. Initial reading says that only 24 Kea were killed over several years, but read a bit more and that is 24 out of 199 that were being monitored which is just a bit more than a 12% kill rate. So highly endangered population of a bird that lives no where else in the world and DOC claim that a 12% population kill rate is OK because 1080 is cheap. The fine for killing a Kea is $100k or 6 months, so we obviously put a very high value on protecting them. What this says is that the value isn't quite as high if it is DOC funds being spent I guess. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 10:22am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The only thing ever likely to be better than 1080 is biological control. Of course biological control was what was intended with the introduction of stoats. 1080 is naturally occurring so biodegrades, and is more toxic towards mammals than birds. It is practically the perfect poison already. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 12:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So DOC is happy with a 12% death rate of kea,yet they will not attend westhaven to remove a sealoin which has benn there for a few months as it has not bitten anyone?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 3:20pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not quite sure of how that comparison works? Most people down here see the Leopard Seal as an attraction rather than a real menace. He/she did eyeball me as I was walking along the marina one day but I don't really think of it as a serious threat. Fun to watch it catching sea gulls though. National Geographic stuff in your work place.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 4:21pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Dave,another site and its all doom and gloom.From dogs wont leave vessel to children refusing to get out of car as seal may attack them..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 6:47pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Interesting report in todays Herald. Doc's monitoring shows that they are getting a 12% kill rate of Kea where they drop 1080. Initial reading says that only 24 Kea were killed over several years, but read a bit more and that is 24 out of 199 that were being monitored which is just a bit more than a 12% kill rate. So highly endangered population of a bird that lives no where else in the world and DOC claim that a 12% population kill rate is OK because 1080 is cheap. The fine for killing a Kea is $100k or 6 months, so we obviously put a very high value on protecting them. What this says is that the value isn't quite as high if it is DOC funds being spent I guess. 

And the reason they are a threatened species is because of predation by introduced species..... If we do nothing   that stoats, weasels ferrets and rats would eventually wipe them out. Which would you prefer? 
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:36pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 8:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm why not trap all native species(where possible)transfer to another area before drop takes place?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 10:30pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Not quite sure of how that comparison works? Most people down here see the Leopard Seal as an attraction rather than a real menace. He/she did eyeball me as I was walking along the marina one day but I don't really think of it as a serious threat. Fun to watch it catching sea gulls though. National Geographic stuff in your work place.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the 1080 thing, as I think it's the best option at the moment and plenty of work is being done by the boffins to find an alternative, but I'm with you on the leopard seal, Tagit!

I heard there were actually two, but whatever the situation was, I saw a huge sleek leopard seal in the viaduct right next to the old America's Cup yachts a few months ago. It was diving around under the jetty, wowing the tourists and locals alike, and came up with a big fish - I can only think it was a 2kg parore. It was incredible to see it that close, you could see the scars and its pffff of breath as it came up. No harm to anyone as long as they kept their distance, and there and at Westhaven it's restricted access to water and jetty level anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 7:27pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

interesting read from a northland bush control group
came via F/B green party

http://www.baybushaction.org.nz/Bio1080.aspx
Page  <123