Best drift shoot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best drift shoot
    Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 7:29am
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all I'm looking to buy or have made up a drift shoot suitable for a 7 mitre boat, will be used for jigging on lake taupo, sold my last drift shoot with the old boat, it was a parashoot style and worked great, just can't remember where I got it from, Tauranga rings a bell, any help much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:11pm
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You may have got one sorted by now but I have one from Northshore canvas and rate it highly.
Postage to rotorua was not to bad from memory.
http://www.northshorecanvas.co.nz/index.php/showroom/itemlist/category/3-sea-anchors
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 6:39am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Rockstars,  you probably got your last one from Penquin Sea and Surf, they make very good gear.
Send Ohsif a message on here, he has a canvas shop on the Shore and very good products too
Tagit chutes are also worth a mention

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bop strayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 7:10am
bop strayliner View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

This is the new name for Penguin Se and Surf. Her name is Nadia.....

http://www.nzoutdoorgear.co.nz/
Just one more cast!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:58am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Tagit chutes are also worth a mention

x2 re Tagit.

We got a Tagit last summer - the blue canvas one - really well (Kiwi) made, does the job very well for us in our Sea Nymph.
Marine Deals has them in stock at a good price, no doubt other outlets too.

http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/drogue-sea-anchors/tagit-canvas-sea-anchor-nz-made

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:19pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What do these perform like?

http://oceanangler.co.nz/product/sea-anchors/

I have a cheapish type funnel sea anchor (Blue PVC/Canvas material?) and I think the performance is average. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:17am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

I have a cheapish type funnel sea anchor (Blue PVC/Canvas material?) and I think the performance is average. 

Went out on a boat a few weeks ago and they had just bought one, was next to useless, wouldnt even open properly
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:33am
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Flick a PM to ohsif on here and he should be able to sort you or point you in the right direction. We got one of his sea anchors for our 6m boat and it's by far the best we've ever used.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:18am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by straks007 straks007 wrote:

Flick a PM to ohsif on here and he should be able to sort you or point you in the right direction. We got one of his sea anchors for our 6m boat and it's by far the best we've ever used.

I got a parachute drogue from ohsif earlier this year - fantastic, great quality and works much better than the previous yellow pvc version I had.

Unfortunately ohsif was selling/closing down his business at that time so not sure if you'll have any luck trying to get one from him now.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 1:51pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The OA parachute ones look great, but pricey. I have a blue Tagit one that works fine.
Useful tip- a section of thick bungee cord (bought by the metre from Bunnings. Either tied in to make a loop in the mainline, or in place of the mainline) in the main line helps dampen sudden jolts eg if you get hit by some wake.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:08pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out on a boat a few weeks ago and they had just bought one, was next to useless, wouldnt even open properly

Thank you for that,it's off the list now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:10pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

The OA parachute ones look great, but pricey. I have a blue Tagit one that works fine.
Useful tip- a section of thick bungee cord (bought by the metre from Bunnings. Either tied in to make a loop in the mainline, or in place of the mainline) in the main line helps dampen sudden jolts eg if you get hit by some wake.

Yes, I have a rubber shock section in series with the main line. I also deploy a small float to mitigate any twisting of the sea anchor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:45pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

rubber bungy cord is great trick and yes the polystyrene float is great for keeping trip line away from mainline, that is on my setup

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 10:17pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Must be some sort of problem there  Kev.
I have the 5' model for my wee tub & it works perfectly.
I have tried numerous other sea anchors prior & none compared with the OA version.
There were a couple of times when it "collapsed" in choppy water but an "o" ring bungy fixed thatBig smile 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What size bungy cord do you guy use?
 Comes in alsorts of diameters.
 My thinking is  too big/ strong , no effect
 Too thin has effect, but if a huge wave breaks....but that would be good right within reason?  one still has the trip line to pull in with.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:50am
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Must be some sort of problem there  Kev.
I have the 5' model for my wee tub & it works perfectly.
I have tried numerous other sea anchors prior & none compared with the OA version.
There were a couple of times when it "collapsed" in choppy water but an "o" ring bungy fixed thatBig smile 

I just got the 7' ocean angler one for my 6.7m hardtop, got the damper as well, worked really well the other weekend in a decent chop and wind, no issues with collapsing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 10:48pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The parachute type are vastly superior to the cone shaped ones from my experience but are more work to make and cost more....well worth the expense though.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 6:28pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I bought a couple of metres of "thick" bungee from Bunnings, no idea of size but bigger is better I think.