Livebait hooks slightly different question ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Livebait hooks slightly different question ?
    Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:08pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The plan is to have another foray north marlin fishing for a month maybe longer esp if the salmon fishing season is not flash.
After last seasons experience i realise i have a massive weakness... my live baiting knowledge is limited ie NON EXISTANT ! I have been watching videos and  reading articles on live baiting flat out to try and bring me up to speed. 
Question[s] please. There seems to be a big variation in bait sizes used in NZ from say a small kahawai thru to a large skippy ? Do you use the same model and size hook say for an XL skippy as for a smaller kahawai ? Is the smaller bait "overpowered" by the bigger heavier gauge hook that you would use on the larger bait  ?  If you are only using the smaller bait as a pitch bait would it matter in the scheme of things the bait having the larger heavier hook attached to it for a limited time ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:13pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

im using 2 sizes mustard  recurves  big big ones i  think maybe 22 s or 18s   for really big baits and broadbill , then the  next size down for stripeys   which mit be 17s or 16s 

no sure on the numbers on them 

bending to the big big ones for blues /blacks with skippy live baits   , 

dont  quote me lots on here are more experianced 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:57pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Much depends on the line weight...an 8/0 Gamakatsu recurve is fine for 10 or 15 kg tackle, and that's good for smaller livies...I'm sure you could use one on 24 kg if you were careful.
Those red 10/0 ones should be good for up to 37kg.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 1:01am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mustard 39950NP Billfish Tournament Demon Circle Hooks
size 9/0 and 10/0 for NZ billfish
use 9/0 on smaller jackmacs and the 10/0 on the bigger skippies

I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!