RUDD ON LURES

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RUDD ON LURES
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 1:09pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

has anyone caught a rudd on a lure? ive fished alot of venues with rudd over the years and have never see one take a lure. yesterday had a quick flick at hamilton lake for perch with rapalas. plenty of perch up to about a pound and a half but had a big rudd around 2 pounds eat a rapala. it smashed it on the surface
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:17pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they do take files. the adults feed on insects and are caught on fly gear in the waikato lakes. hope yours went back that's a pb for many course anglers .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 4:45pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah ive caught plenty on flies but this was a 7cm long rapala slashbait.  also got another rudd about the same size on worm bait so there must be a few big rudd in there. both released along with all the perch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 4:55pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hamilton Lake is a bit of a urban jewel
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 6:57pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Weird must have been an angry Rudd caught plenty on small floating flies but would never have thought Rudd would be caught on a stick bait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 8:11pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've caught a rudd or two in Karapiro using a Veltic spinner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 9:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Floating castors are best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 9:22pm
064pointbreak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When I went to Sylvan Park at Milford just before dark, I tried to catch perch at the boat ramp, but had no luck because the water is swarming with windsurfers. So I moved places and switched lures.
On the 4th cast I felt a bite and set the hook. The rod bent, making me think that I snagged on a big piece of trash that's been drifting in the lake. But it was over quickly. Now before me was a 30cm rudd, and I was filled with excitement.
P.S. I make my own softbaits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 12:50pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good sized fish, well done!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken