Fishing myths

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 5:21pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a habit of dropping big fish beside the boat during comps, aaarrrrrhhhh!!
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by JW JW wrote:

All the biggest fish I've ever hooked got away. True story - and only because I wasn't wearing my lucky pants. 

Good point JW Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 8:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here's a little article I wrote on keeping your catch fresh. Not saying it is gospel but it's what I think about the subject:
http://www.nzfishingworld.co.nz/latest/2016/08/keeping-your-catch-fresh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 6:48am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Here's a little article I wrote on keeping your catch fresh. Not saying it is gospel but it's what I think about the subject:
http://www.nzfishingworld.co.nz/latest/2016/08/keeping-your-catch-fresh
Great article smudge - thanks
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 9:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I prefer not to put water in with salt ice as the water is more likely to contaminate the fish as body fluids leak out, fish often cough up smelly old berley or stinky bits of bait when caught. You really want to minimise that stuff coming into contact with your fish.

Sorted best by suggestion in posts above.
Gut before throwing into the bin...keeps fish clean , bin clean. no crap on the fish at the filleting table, clean boards knives

And if ice/ blocks  whatever are well distributed the fish is chilled quickly as suggested, when get home the flesh will be set to fillet easier... If it has not then the instructions in chilling have not been followed.
If left over night, and rem salt ice is below freezing point the fish become pre frozen... not chilled... Freezing breaks down the flesh structure.. its not longer "fresh fillets"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:24am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is all interesting the way we look after our fish.

2 weeks ago I was in Vietnam and have to say that they normally simply throw their fish into a bucket and rarely will it have even water in it. Fish caught in the sea are often placed in a round dish/basket type of basket made from coconut leaves that are woven from 20mm wide strips.
I ate fish on several occasions and the only difference I noted was that their fish seemed to have less flavor than ours. Neither Brenda or myself showed the slightest sign of becoming crook in the 2 weeks we were there. Coldest day was 29cel and the hottest was 38 cel but the humidity was extreme each and every day.
I think icing your fish helps retain flavor for sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 10:44pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good points above.
I also find fishing in the southern waters helps a lot, fish are coming out of the water around 10 degrees cooler than your northern ones. Makes for easier and faster chilling............maybe thats why the blue cod down here is so dang fine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 5:55pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Do you use a trace?or just the mainline?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 7:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Godders Godders wrote:

I guess it depends on your mainline. When I target kahawai specifically on lures I only use a 10kg trace max. If you have to lift the fish I'd go no lighter than 10kg. Having said that, line weight isn't particularly important for kahawai fishing. I've caught a few on marlin lures with a 300lb trace.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:34pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Smudge. I leave filleting until the boats been washed down, a few beers have also been washed down. Firm pearly white flesh akin to polystyrene makes for much easier filleting. Not like some of the flabby pink fillets for sale in supermarkets.
As for filleting knives, that's another subject!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Nice one Smudge. I leave filleting until the boats been washed down, a few beers have also been washed down. Firm pearly white flesh akin to polystyrene makes for much easier filleting. Not like some of the flabby pink fillets for sale in supermarkets.

Yepp it is indeed. If you take a look at the snapper fillets in that link I posted you will see they are shiny and glossy - firm looking. A fish that hasn't been treated right and carved up with a dull knife won't look anything like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 1:16pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Yepp it is indeed. If you take a look at the snapper fillets in that link I posted you will see they are shiny and glossy - firm looking. A fish that hasn't been treated right and carved up with a dull knife won't look anything like that.

I know you're a fan of Victory, Smudge. I went to the factory in Marua Rd recently and got a nice carbon steel filleting knife for $20. Wanted carbon, rather than stainless. 
Friendly ladies in the factory front searched until they found what I was after. 
Cash only, though. No EFTPOS machines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 1:22pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've tried Bruce Duncan's method of no trace, usually doubling the 6-8kg mainline first using a Spider hitch. One downside is that it's really only useful for a one-hook rig (as far as my knot tying skills of a Snood knot go, anyway) so you don't get the extra hookability of two hooks in the bait. 
We've got some nice pannies in the relatively sandy bottom shallows on that rig.

I sometimes use a trace but without a swivel, using a back to back uni to attach a heavier trace to the doubled mainline (a la Mark Kitteridge - though he uses a Bimini to double, not the lesser Spider Hitch).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 5:49pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use trace. At least thats what i do .
Cos little bit by little bit you will eat into the mainline and the day may come when you have that really big fish and end up saying ,if only i had another few meters on the spool i may not have lost it.
Page  <12