Prop Selection

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:05am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

or I could do both :D
I would like to try an alternative before cupping the current prop
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 3:42am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so many options

10.2x11 4blade - looking on some sites I think this is actually a 10-2/5" x 11"
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Basic problem is you are under powered... you can patch / fix by going to higher pitches.. but end of the day u are just loading up the engine....right thev way thru its rpm range.
Not good for any engine , be it a car truck tractor chainsaw.
You NEED min of 15 to 20% reserve power... IE the power required to move the boat at a given speed / rpms on flat water is less than the potential power of the engine.
Some ppl dont understand this concept or Im bad at explaining it.
So  take say a V8 muscle car... it cruises at 60 mph @ say 2500 rpms top gear. It will require about 25/ 30 hp to do so. At woT at 2500 rpms there is capability / potential for 90 to 130 hp...
So when the car comes to  very steep hill a very slight adjustment to the throttle and goes up with no change in speed or rpms.

So back to the boat.. if under/ min powered then there is nil room to get up the hill .. unless get more power to the prop.. that means more throttle... higher rpms// loaded up even more, exploate the logical out.. the back wheels loose grip and slip, heaps throttle , pouring fuel in , no economy.

Bottom line...min powered , under powered.. you are at full power at a given rpms/ speed...sliglest 'hill' (chop wake etc) the rear end slips, loose grip, momentum and the bow goes up, slows down , basically crap ride, triming..

I have to agree with the others above, again, your pitch is about right... for cruise, assuming the engine height and have established the best trim height at cruise (in your case unfortunately fixed trim) to fine tune a little, a prop with a little more grip...diameter, cupping.. even rake, or smaller diameter 4 blades would improve things..slightly.....patch a bad situation
 BUT not FIX.

Sry if sounds a little blunt...

FIX.. re-power  + variable trim...the difference in handling chops , economy, cruise... EVERYTHING.. you will not even closely recognise as the same boat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:07am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well hey weather right or wrong I just ordered a prop
turning point 3Blade 10-3/8 by 11 pitch and a hub kit to suit
so 1/2" larger diameter - and 1" less pitch (couldn't get a 12" pitch)
couldn't find a 4 blade that would fit easily onto the motor
the 10-3/8 is about the largest prop I could fit in under the cavitation plate

will give it a crack when I get back to NZ in December and put up some numbers and see how they go against each other - will re-do numbers on original prop then come in and swap and go out again so to keep as many variables like weight the same

worst case there will be a spare prop in my garage or one of them on trade me if it doesn't suit the boat at all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 9:11am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the more I use Walmart in USA the more I am impressed
less then 24hrs from ordering to receiving an email saying its ready to pickup at the walmart in a 2 bit town in the middle of Iowa

New

original (pic from internet)

Prop Shape is fairly different on the trailing tip, hopefully makes positive difference having more surface area out there 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 1:46pm
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

right ... tried out the new prop on a couple of voyages

havn't collected data properly but looks as though i have kept approx the same top speed 21knts
i am still over reving (5800ish)
cruising speed 18knts i think the engine is a little quieter
the out of the hole seems better (faster/less effort)

will get try to get a day where i can change prop at the boat ramp and get boat under identical conditions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 1:54pm
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

oh an i think i re worked the slip numbers as i have gone from 18% to about 14.5%
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 9:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i have kept approx the same top speed 21knts

Yes ..you have X hp to move a weight of Y with a resistance of Z
 All constants....Change one of these and the top speed will change.
Change other stuff like the grip or pitch... you will get to a given hp and all that will happen if say grip is too big @WoT it will slip more...
Like hooking your car upto a huge tree...and travels at the same speed, the back wheels and clutch just slip...choose a smaller tree, or more powerful engine and if grip is enough the speed will change as the tree pulls out.

oh an i think i re worked the slip numbers as i have gone from 18% to about 14.5%

Not going way back htru to refresh al the data.
 Is this at the WoT (hope not) or at cruise speed at best trim for THAT speed?)
WoT should be around 3 to 5% ball park
 and around 10 to 15% at your cruise speed.. If pitch is close then there is in practice very little difference between 12 and 15%  maybe 1 mph or 2 at most.

I think I would have said above, and the best advice I got when 1s getting my head around the subject... get the slip right then sort the pitch.
So if 5800 is still high..and cruise and WoT slips good (havnt gone back to find what your rpm range is)... assuming 4500 to 5500 target is 4900/ 5100....thats a serious change in pitch of 3 to 4". That will certainly have a at least noticeable effect of how the boat performs in choppy seas and slower hole shot.... espec if the boat is min or under powered to start with
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:45am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well look what turned up on my desk this morning
these things are becoming quite collectable

10.2x11 4Blade
although when I measure it, its 257mm so actually 10.12"
Page  <12