Tasty By Catch

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tasty By Catch
    Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:13pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:14pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got the above squid while fishing for snapper today at Sail Rock on an Inchiku jig. Certainly the biggest squid I've ever caught.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:44pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

According to google ,gurnard was seen as a by catch up until around 2007 when depleting fishstocks meant people started keeping the and now they are preferred while some commercial fishos are being told not to target snapper as the supermarkets sell more gurnard and terekihi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Squid are a very undervalued resource imo. While i haven't caught one in years they are surprisingly common. I've never caught one as big as that. Although we did get a biggie years ago off the manukau coast in the middle of the day. That's a beauty Straks!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street