Lake Fishing Rotorua area

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 1:41pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good one Mark - i was sure they were legal and had seen people using them successfuly Rotoiti and Tarawera. 
Keep us posted on how you get on - im stuck with On the water boat show so probably no getting down there for a couple of weeks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 3:33pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

It was a tough decision to postpone my Rotorua trip for a few days because of the weather bomb that hit the top of the NI.    The car was packed, accommodation booked and anticipation high when I reluctantly decided to pull the plug. As things turned out it could not have turned out any better.   
Sitting at home still somewhat deflated on Opening Day I decided to make up for it by paddling out to sea and catch some dinner.     It was then that I discovered that my bait freezer was unplugged and was in the early stages of defrosting.     Apparently my grandson had vacuumed out the garage and forgot to put the freezer plug back in its socket.

I still shudder imagining just what a stinking, rotten mess would have greeted me after a week at Rotorua.

Someone up there is definitely looking after me.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 6:31pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Rainbow - i intend to get there asap too. Will let you know.
My boat due this week - fingers crossed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:08pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I shall be there from the 10th to the 16th.     I wonder how the Opening W/e went?   According to Eastern F&G there are usually hundreds of boats on the lakes during Opening W/e.     So far nobody has posted anything
Rainbow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:57pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My spies tell me was ok in both Okataina & Rotoiti

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 1:14am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spent all afternoon on Rotoiti. Tried trolling around the SW a bit of jigging, more trolling some more jigging. The wind didn't help at all. Not a single touch. Got told most people were struggling. My first time on the lake so didn't know much about where to go except from the usual F&G pamphlets. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:08am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jigging damn hard when windy, I dont bother much over 8 knots as I dont have Minkota .
Anchoring on drop offs if smelt/trout present another option?

You would have thought you would have got a feed trolling though - did you see much sign on sounder - maybe fish a bit spread out?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 12:49pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My sounder is a Lowrance Mark 5x. Came with the transducer Marine Deals threw in. I can read bottom to 50m or more in the Salt, but sometimes in even 30m I was losing bottom detail. Generally use it for finding structure rather than looking for fish sign per se. 

Will probably look for a better sounder when I upgrade the boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:41pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It should be ok that model - sure there are better sounders than that but it should still work ok. 
More importantly than bottom detail what is the mid water detail like - cluttered? Do you have any screen shots? Get some next time you goout and we can have a look.
Rotoiti is a funny lake for the sounders - i have a raymarine dragonfly -at most spots I can see the sinker and the 3 flies - along with the trout looking at them if im lucky.  There are some locations there where for no reason at all you get alot of clutter - possible geothermal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:31pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

My sounder is a Lowrance Mark 5x. Came with the transducer Marine Deals threw in. I can read bottom to 50m or more in the Salt, but sometimes in even 30m I was losing bottom detail. 

check what frequency it is set on, it will do this is set on the frequency for shallow water usage.
Page  <12