Rarawa beach in a 10 ft dinghy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rarawa beach in a 10 ft dinghy
    Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:45am
Wade barrett View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I will be going camping at rarawa beach for 2 weeks with my family and I will be taking my 10 ft dinghy just wondering if anyone knew a great snapper/kingfish/trevally spot I could go to or if there is any skip jacks in close as I have never caught one because I'm only 14 but yes I will have my dad with me the dinghy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 6:51am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wade, Rarawa is a dangerous prospect in a ten foot dinghy. You will effectively be launching in the surf and then there are lots of shallow reefs in that area that break unexpectedly. 

The fishing is spread over a wide area of shallow ground at Rarawa. Just choose a patch of reef and lay a berley trail. There can be plenty of snapper and kahawai there, but you may struggle to land kingfish in that shallow reefy water

A better bet would be the Houhora Heads camping ground. It's not too hard to cross the harbour in a small boat there and you will find plenty of good fishing in locations that can be sheltered on the other side. Just watch the very strong currents in the main channel and out by the entrance.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:37pm
Wade barrett View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the comment but as I live in kaitaia i go to houhora fairly often in my dads 14 ft boat but I just picked up my first boat and go camping at rarawa every year so if I do launch from rarawa I will launch just drom the ramp as there is no reef there but would blue cod come to berly as there are heaps on the sand patches in the reef