Rigging a bibbed minnow?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 10:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:18am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

"Trolling in Northland early Feb is a very likely place for Wahoo, especially the King bank."

ummmmm……keep up the medication…this one is a dozzie even by your standards!! Thumbs UpWackoBig smile
Iv'e had nothing but sarcastic comments from you for a while, Kezza.
What's your medication?
Not something I'd chose to be on.
Make sensible replies or naff off.

Suck it up butter-cup!! if you're going to make ridiculous claims such as "Trolling in Northland early Feb is avery likely place for Wahoo" then prepare to be called out…..having 2 unidentified 'bite offs" that could have easily been makos is not grounds to write what you did….but to be fair it's been par for the course over the years…..wide sweeping nonsense that is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 1:14pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Trolling in Northland early Feb is a very likely place for Wahoo, especially the King bank."

ummmmm……keep up the medication…this one is a dozzie even by your standards!! Thumbs UpWackoBig smile
Iv'e had nothing but sarcastic comments from you for a while, Kezza.
What's your medication?
Not something I'd chose to be on.
Make sensible replies or naff off.

Suck it up butter-cup!! if you're going to make ridiculous claims such as "Trolling in Northland early Feb is avery likely place for Wahoo" then prepare to be called out…..having 2 unidentified 'bite offs" that could have easily been makos is not grounds to write what you did….but to be fair it's been par for the course over the years…..wide sweeping nonsense that is.
You've got very grumpy since you hit middle age!Wink
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 6:48pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd pick makos too.
First one you said was twisted. Fits the Piroet style of a shark.
Second one, hmm.
There are a lot of makos in this zone.

Of course entirely speculation, and best guesses.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:07pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I've not had much like trolling bibbed minnows for kingfish, to be fair not a lot of effort put into this style and usually when I have done it s trying various methods cos the fish aren't biting so obviously a tough ask for any lure... but I should keep trying yeah? Ya'll catching kings on them well ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:44pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I'd pick makos too.
Second one, hmm.

The end bit of the lure was a double twisted mono.
The guy who saw it thought it was a SBS, not in the look of a mako at all...seen plenty of them and also seen some SBS.
I'll bow too kezzas's thoughts and rig with fluoro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 8:38am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I'd pick makos too.
Second one, hmm.

The end bit of the lure was a double twisted mono.
The guy who saw it thought it was a SBS, not in the look of a mako at all...seen plenty of them and also seen some SBS.
I'll bow too kezzas's thoughts and rig with fluoro.
Don't do that Roy. Use wire and go get one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 9:26am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

I've not had much like trolling bibbed minnows for kingfish, to be fair not a lot of effort put into this style and usually when I have done it s trying various methods cos the fish aren't biting so obviously a tough ask for any lure... but I should keep trying yeah? Ya'll catching kings on them well ?

I've no personal experience of this, but I've seen several episodes on older TV fishing shows or DVDs (Adam Clancey's old show NZ Fishing and Geoff Thomas' old Kingfish Secrets) where they hooked good kingies on big CD Rapalas (CD18?) trolled along reefy areas of Hauraki Gulf coast - mainly Waiheke, Gannet Island, Rakino type spots.

Also seen reports of those same lures doing well at harbour entrances, Bowentown etc.
It seems to be a good way of prospecting some territory. The exact opposite of berleying up and fishing with livies in a likely spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 9:58am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My biggest yft (48kg) was caught on Yozuri Magnum. Had smaller ones, too, plus some big albies and several legal but not massive kingies.
Also wahoo in Raro (on wire) but the biggest were on chin weighed flying fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 10:28am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"I'll bow too kezzas's thoughts and rig with fluoro."

errrr….where did I suggest rigging anything with fluoro?…..There are no doubts Wahoo visit our waters….my mate's son caught one off the Manukau this year…..but suggesting it is "very likely" anywhere in NZ is a complete load of bolloxs!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 6:17pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In reference to wahoos.
The recorded catch for NZ records suggest that they are an infrequent visitor.
There was a season if I recollect correctly that there were many caught. I think there were around thirty.
But this number is uncommon. But when the moons collide we can be blessed with a surplus by our standards of tropical species along the east coast particularaly.

As to bibbed minnows, they are a great tool. I have caught a variety of species here and overseas.
I try to trawl one from the moment I leave the ramp.
Has always turned up some surprises and kingis are a regular.
Towing lures requires using as much of the water column as you can. The hits can often indicate a lot about what's happening that you can't see.

And for toothy critters they often don't disassemble your kit so mono can be ok. Steel wire not a necessity.
There are of course many wires that offer good flexibility and action of the lure dependent on connection.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Page  <12