Niue Trip - Aug 2016

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Niue Trip - Aug 2016
    Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 3:23pm
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just got back from a fishing/diving holiday on Niue.  What a fantastic place for a holiday.  Unfortunately the fishing was a bit hit and miss, which is very unusual for this time of the year.  However, managed to get out on a kayak with my wife and caught a wahoo and green jobfish jigging close to one of the FAD's.   Was hoping to do a bit of spear fishing but soon found out from the locals and some other spearos we met that it is quite frowned upon unless you go out with a charter.  It is becoming quite a political subject and everyone seemed to be making up rules to suit themselves.  Some of the locals we met were great and didnt mind but there were others that were totally against it.  Managed to get out on a fishing charter, Ian from Seaturtle and caught a yellowfin.  The whales were in the bay and we saw them everyday - was awesome.  The clarity of the water is just amazing.  Did lots of snorkeling in large rock-pools full of , like swimming in a giant acquarium with lots of sea snakes!!  We definitely will go back but it pays to book the charters early, preferably before you leave to save disappointment.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:37pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one PM.....its a great lace....well done on the wahoo....tricky from the yak i am guessing.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 5:22pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the report. Interesting that they are not keen on jigging. Is it because it competes with the local technicque of `bobbing' around the FADs?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda-Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 1:58am
Wanda-Ra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

Thanks for the report. Interesting that they are not keen on jigging. Is it because it competes with the local technicque of `bobbing' around the FADs?

Think you got your wires crossed.

Jigging is fine, its spear fishing they are starting to disallow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:14am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Wanda-Ra Wanda-Ra wrote:

[QUOTE=Metal Float] ...
Jigging is fine, its spear fishing they are starting to disallow.

oops ... cheers. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 3:37pm
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes met some Southafrican kiwi spearos over there,they caused quite a stirrup with some of the locals who dont quite understand how selective spearfishing is .No reef fish were speared only pelagics. Hopefully in the near future they will see some sense and realize that all tourists ,weather fishing, spearfishing or just diving,are all bringing much needed money into niue .These guys where meet more than once by locals when they came out of the water,and where made to feel quite uncomfortable.Think thev been put off going back.
But dont be put off by my rant,iv been all over the islands and niue  defiantly stands out as a great fishing destination with massive potential .I will certainly be going again.    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monacoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 10:21am
Monacoboy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How is Niue for Land Based Fishing?

As far as I can see on the Web, it's rocks with big swell...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:53pm
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There is always a sheltered side with good access at low tide,one thing you must do is ask the locals if its ok to fish.Some areas are closed for fishing at certain times.The fishing was awsum off the rocks down from the Matavai,theres a great gut there.I lost the bulk of my lures there to suspected GTs.Next time i will have much heavyer gear.I cant wait to get back there Niue has so much fishing potential.