Here's something new, a fishing related thread!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here's something new, a fishing related thread!
    Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 3:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I can't post any pics because I am having a hell time with my dropbox account. I really must get a new computer, my own one!

I recently acquired a lovely little Shimano Calcutta 400D on a BBE rod. Now I'm not knocking the BBE rod they are a great affordable weapon but the reel isn't a good match with that particular rod. The Backbone Elite is 2 piece 7' 5 to 8kg one that is just too light a tip action for a reel with 7kg of drag.

The reel seems to be designed for lure fishing and I would think it's a great option for 60 to 150g lures but that's only my opinion.

Now I was thinking of buying a rod with a PE rating of 1.5 or so but then I had an original Synit Hellbent rod that was a lovely (kind of spiritual rod because Tiny was a friend) stick to use but it has languished in my garage after I gave my only baitcaster to my dad in law who was down on his luck and needed new fishing gear.

Inbetween times a rat had chewed the foregrip (if you have ever been to my place you would understand). A bit of silicone, some sand paper (for the EVA grips) and a dress up and it was looking pretty sharp!

I just loaded it up and it has more power than I remembered. While the rod doesn't bend all the way through like a modern rod (not too far off it though) it's still going to be a fish f***er of the highest order.

I really do like overheads especially on an 'acid wrap' rod. Can't wait to fell a big thumping snapper on it. That will be in 7 when those big spring beasts turn up at the 60m mark off the west coast of Auckland.

I'm getting fizzy now so I better sign off Big smile.

ps R.I.P. Tiny look forward to connecting with you through that love of fishing we shared.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 4:09pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To many Appletons there smudgey
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 4:24pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Put a hell bend in that Hellbent Smudge Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 4:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

To many Appletons there smudgey

No Appletons involved Tzer but you have planted that seed in my head (not said in a gay way) Big smile

Seven weeks and I will know how it handles a real fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 5:07pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have
1 on a CD Albergrapt 6kg
1 on a light ugly stik
1 on a really stiff rod my wife bought from Mavrix
1 on a cheap shimano backbone

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 5:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

I have
1 on a CD Albergrapt 6kg
1 on a light ugly stik

So which one do you prefer Barrie? I guess it depends on the line weight of the rods but I'm guessing the albagraph?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 5:53pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

I have
1 on a CD Albergrapt 6kg
1 on a light ugly stik

So which one do you prefer Barrie? I guess it depends on the line weight of the rods but I'm guessing the albagraph?

You got it in one.
I also have a Calcutta 200 thats matched to a longer 4 to 6 kg Albergraph.
I wonder if I could get a Calcutta 50w ??Wink