Lines/ breaking strains and what the!?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 10:35pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Plonker Plonker wrote:

So what would you guys think of a 37kg (80lb)IGFA dacron that tests
 anywhere from 28kg to 41.2kgAngryAngry.

tested on two line testers??

change your supplier, i use 37kg dacron and test before i even spool it on my reels, tests normally around 35-36.5 kg, i have had it on my reels for approx 8 yrs and when i change topshots( normally yearly depending on useage) i send away 10m of the dacron to be tested and it has been a very slow loss of breaking strain, now down to between 33-34kg, very impressed,
If you actually know what your line tests at you can set up your gear correctly as PP says
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 2:11pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This does come up every so often so will share my experiences.

Few years ago. Brought IGFA rated 24kg from a big name shop 90 buck per spool
Brought 3 spools and did.my 3 50wides.

Month later in was setting and testing the drags for 8kg strike wanting 12 to 13kg on sunset. The line started breaking. So i did a bunch of tests and the most the line broke at was 13kg average was about 10kg some at 9kg Took the reels receipts etc back to the shop and we used new scales and a brand new spool of line and same result. Contacted the rep and supplier and they were not supprised in the least. Apparently plenty of charter boats had brought the line also.

Anyway i got all new spools of a different brand. And no.worries☺☺
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 8:16pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great topic. I've done a fair amount of testing myself (not with a machine though) and for sure some lines are quite significantly under the "IGFA" rating on the spool. 
I believe in some cases the thinner line is a deliberate sale point, so they can say their 50lb (example) is thinner so you can get more on the spool.

As PP has stated previously nylon deteriorates over time though and some quicker than others too so pays to test.

On another note. 50Lb = 22.7kg so if your spool says 50lb don't expect 24kg.

Out of interest. How much difference does the line being wet make
1,2,3,4,5%? All my testing is dry.
Do the thinner classes (line) vary more  dry -> wet? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 10:36pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll quote Bill Hall here as it's probably quite apt.
"Buying lines - , Watch out.
A number of brand line makers produce lines in two different qualities. One they usually describe as IGFA tournament line or something very similar, they may also claim it is to IGFA specifications.
If they say it is 37kg test, it usually breaks at say 36kg".

He then goes on to describe that there are also commercial brands that vary a lot on the breaking strand.
He suggests that as game fisherman we should know what line we are putting on the reel.
It's basically up to us to know. Fair point.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 10:57pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Krow, nylon soaked in water breaks at a lower strength than dry line. My understanding is that when a line (any type) is tested for records (IGFA & NZ) it is soaked in water at a certain temperature for a certain length of time (can't remember temp or time).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 11:39am
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One thing that has a great impact is speed. If you have scales with the sliding ring that lets you know what it peaks at then its easy to see. Test the reel drag at walking pace as you normally would, then test the drag on the same setting pulling it as fast as you can. The difference is huge.
So not only do you need to think about the reduced spool diameter and line belly effecting drag with a lot of line out, but if the fish is screaming off line fast it will effect the drag too.
This is often why you hear people say with Blues "The fish jumped on the line and broke it", no it didn't, you just didn't judge the extra drag from the extra speed properly.
Add into this the line needs to break below rated strength, it makes the judgement of drag in light line captures pretty special.
Page  <12