Best spin Softbait/Micro jig combo $500 under

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 2:31pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow, great deal Kaveman - I can only see the 'premium' one, so I presume you snapped up the only Elite on offer. Nice work.

Interesting point by Makka on the other current thread that the lines either side of that weight are only 6 strand, whereas the PE0.8 you've got your hands on is 8 strand.

Be good to know what you think of that versus the likes of Fireline or Microfuse - particularly in terms of casting distance. Or maybe that's not comparing apples with apples, given Tasline appears to not be a 'fused' line, more like the Japanese 8 strands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 10:26pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

I just bought some Tasline All white series from TMe, $36 for 300yd of 8lb, (man is it thin, 0.14mm by my calipers compared to the 10lb Stren microfuse i normally use which is 0.20mm)
Will report back after trialling the 8lb tasline but seems preety strong as couldnt break it when "bedding" down the FG knot with 20lb fluro

That 8lb should break at 14lb. That's what they claim, and assuming that it's made from the same basic stuff as other braids puts it in the ball park for it's diameter. .2mm is almost exactly twice the cross sectional area compared to .14mm and the 10lb stren breaks at 28lb. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 7:47am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

I just bought some Tasline All white series from TMe, $36 for 300yd of 8lb, (man is it thin, 0.14mm by my calipers compared to the 10lb Stren microfuse i normally use which is 0.20mm)
Will report back after trialling the 8lb tasline but seems preety strong as couldnt break it when "bedding" down the FG knot with 20lb fluro

That 8lb should break at 14lb. That's what they claim, and assuming that it's made from the same basic stuff as other braids puts it in the ball park for it's diameter. .2mm is almost exactly twice the cross sectional area compared to .14mm and the 10lb stren breaks at 28lb. 

OWT,  stren microfuse is heat treated hence the title "fused", heat treatment supposedly adds to the breaking strain when treated this way. Fused braids feel quite coarse compared to woven braids and the Tasline i have is silky smooth. It be be interesting to see how it fares in longevity as my Microfuse i have on my Stella 4000 would be 4 yrs old and still perfect condition.
I do have 20lb and 30lb Tasline All white series on my inchiku and slow pitch reels as well and that is approx 2yrs old with no problems what so ever
Will keep you posted
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 11:41am
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Kaveman,

I'd be keen to know what reel you're going to run the Tasline on, and how much of the 300m you fit on it. Sorry if you've mentioned that before, but I can't remember.

TTK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:36pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Lester did you end up trying the Elite from Busted, Aussie dollar is only $1.05 at the moment...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 1:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

I am very keen, just trying to work out which rated line to put on my Caldia. Makka pointed out the PE.5 and the PE1 are both only 6 strand, whereas the PE.6 (av break 20lb) is 8 strand. Intuitively, you'd think the 8 strand would be stronger. I can get why the very finest one would be 6 strand, but why drop back to 6 for the PE1?

end of the day, I probably won't notice the difference with the type of fishing I normally do.

My question to Kaveman re capacity is related to the fact that I will be putting on the line myself. I don't want to end up short of optimal line fill on the reel, and wondering if, given the PE.5 is so thin, I will need to put on some backing first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 3:06pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I put the 8lb Elite white on my Caldia 3000 as well, (one of the 2 spools) but only 150m with a bit of mono backing. My concern was having the spool too full as that really thin line is quite susceptible to wind knots anyway, so a overfilled spool may exacerbate the wind knots.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 3:30pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Lester, i put it on a Caldia 2500 as well, probably 150-170m with small bit of mono backing. You wont need to use mono backing with 2500 or 3000 size reelWink
Got 10lb microfuse on the Certate and 4000 Stella
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 3:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that, BigManly and Kaveman - very good intel.

I always find loading line quite tricky, particularly with 125yd braid spools, so am keen to make the process simple.

Warning - dumb question alert!
I always wonder how people 'reverse' their braid lines on to the same spool, as some people say they do. 

Unless I'm missing something very basic: first, you'd have to wind off the line onto a spare reel or spool, and the 'worn' end would therefore be buried. So you'd have to then do another wind onto another spare spool, so the 'worn' line would be on the top; THEN join the 'worn' section to the old backing or original empty reel spool, and wind back on with the good line at the top. 

Am I right or a dunce?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 4:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If do it then I need two spare reels. Going to do just that tonight to get the right amount of backing on.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 6:46pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Keep your old line spools, wind it off onto one with a cordless drill, then another, then back onto your reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 7:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good tip, Makka. Didn't think of that.

That's the best use of a cordless drill i've seen since my brother in law used one with an egg beater type mixer attachment to try to whip a bowl of cream on Christmas morning. Unfortunately, he was a bit ambitious with the speed trigger and spent the rest of the morning cleaning cream off the kitchen walls, cupboards and ceiling.
Page  <123