A few recent ties

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote South Of North Fly Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few recent ties
    Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 3:48pm
South Of North Fly Fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been tying a bit more recently and really enjoying biot and cdc figured I'd share. Any suggestions for improvement welcome Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 4:57pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I reckon they will catch fish!!!
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 5:57pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

The fly tying community is made up of imitative tiers all the way to creators of gob smacking art forms and anything in between.    The fact that trout occasionally get seduced by the most outlandish creation is mainly due to the catholic taste and their pea sized brain.    Unfortunately with the widespread C&R the practice of stomach autopsies has largely been abandoned.     Neither do many anglers bother to inspect the subaquatic life of a stream by turning over a few instream stones.    It follows that few have any idea about the menu that trout are feeding on and base their fly and angling choice without making use of this important information.
One such example will forever stick in my mind    It was during the sixties at Waikaremoana.    I was not tying flies then and being financially strapped I bought two fies at the then camp store,    One was a smelt fly and the other a Kilwell NO 1 a killer pattern made of partridge feathers.    Both fished with the same wet line but the NO1 caught 95% of the fish.    It was fantastic beyond belief  It even took most fish trolling at Waikareiti.   I had no idea why until I gutted a few fish all of them were stuffed with stick caddis (caddis larvae that use hollow sticks for shelter and crawl slowly on the bottom).   When wet the No1 looked just like such a stick and was gobbled up by the searching trout.    By a stroke of luck I had chosen the right fly
 Since that day I have become a firm believer in imitative fly tying even when it comes to the notoriously fickle and moody spawning runners.   
If I can offer you any advice it would be to base your tying on your own fishing style and on the waters you usually fish including the time of year  you fish there.   Your fly tying will be more focused.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 3:00pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Quite a few years ago when I posted on Sexy Loops an English fly fisher asked what nymphs he should tie for his forthcoming visit to New Zealand.     He got plenty of replies with long lists of patterns.    My own reply was to tie brown and black ones in sizes 14-18 as most of the stream life had those colours.    Furthermore with only two to choose from he would have more time spot fish than to stare into a fly box containing a plethora of patterns and wondering, which one to tie on.      

Well I got a rude reply from the good man who obviously thought I was having him on.     Not at all because apart from a few caddis patterns that is what my summer nymph box looks like.     Brown on one side and black on the other.       Never had any problems catching fish although in the last few years I fish dry fly whenever the conditions allow.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote South Of North Fly Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 12:58am
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the advise Smile makes plenty of sense to try and keep it simple haven't been fishing long but already finding my self narrowing it down quite a bit already. Cheers for the stories shame you got rudeness for your help with that guy. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 9:03am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Braedande, those BH nymphs in the 2nd pic look fantastic. I tie a very similar pattern with a red thorax in size 14 thats killer on the Tongariro
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote South Of North Fly Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 8:09pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers MarkE (apologies slow reply) yeah they're quite fun to tie and little something different to the standard PT while same sort of shape idea I figure. Will have to give them a go in the colors you've suggested for when I am up there end of next month!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Awa Kairangi Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 5:06pm
Te Awa Kairangi Angler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice ties Braedan.
How have they worked for you?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote South Of North Fly Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 11:08am
Bronze
Bronze

Hey I wish I could tell you unfortunately I had a bit of an accident that involved me going for an unplanned swim in the Hutt river and losing a few flies so not sure about most of them but the green nymphs in second pic had a couple takes before then although couldn't land anything.