Fishing from inflatables

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing from inflatables
    Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 11:10am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We're currently looking to buy a motor home, and I'd like to be able to take a small boat along on our travels to extend any fishing opportunities that may come my way.  Towing a boat and launching it with a motorhome isn't ideal, especially if the trip isn't specifically a fishing trip, so I've been looking at other options.  I considered mounting like a Smartwave 2400 or Mac 270 on a rack on the back or roofrack, but again this isn't going to be ideal for general trips.  Now I'm considering an inflatable that could be relatively easily stored when not required, and inflated when I wanted to go for a fish.  I was looking at the takacat t300s as being a good compromise.  Looks stable and has a good capacity, but only needs an 8hp motor -which is the largest I want to consider (8hp 2 stroke = 25kg which is manageable, any bigger is too heavy).  I also looked at a motayak as that only takes a 4hp motor (even lighter) but I like the extra stability of the takacat.

Does anyone have any experience from fishing from either of these boats, or suggest any other inflatable boat I should be looking at.

I've always been a bit nervous of hooks and knives in an inflatable boat, because of the obvious problem if you puncture something.  Is this really an issue, or in reality not a problem?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 11:20am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have all the same questions....Hope you find the answerSmile

I think I would have got a Porta-Bote especially if my camper would allow it to be side mounted (but it doesn't) and can't really have on top either. So my current thought is that I will probably have to go inflatable even though I am a bit nervous about that.

If you haven't bought the camper yet make sure you get one that is already set up or easy enough to set up with what you want. Too much of a pain in the arse otherwise.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 11:53am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kayak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 1:17pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My first boat was an aquapro 10ft rhib - PVC I think - and I did a lot of fishing in it

Had an 8hp Yamaha and transom mounted wheels

I did once drop a snapper on the tubes and a dorsel spine managed to puncture the fabric. The tube partially deflated but pretty much held its shape - and combined with the rigid hull and two other intact chambers didn't cause any concern at all - think i kept on fishing and came home later at normal 15kts

I later fixed the hole with a drop of super glue and the repair lasted for years

Transom beach wheels are invaluable for a boat this size and I found the 8hp about maximum I could carry
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 1:32pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cousin and I put about 5 holes in the old mans inflatable tender dropping snapper onto the floor when they kicked around a bit. Slow leak so woke up the next morning with half inflated dingy. 😬
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richie Harv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 2:14pm
Richie Harv View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fishing from an inflatable is great. Did this for many years growing up. Away on the boat with parents I would go out most mornings and evenings in the inflatable to the nearest point or fishy area. Most of the time this was a zodiac with an 8hp Yammy. Over probaby close to 10 years did have a couple of patches from various things, including snapper spikes. But the inflatables are pretty hardy and if are smart about things its not really an issue. And the stability is awesome. 

Just make sure you have a decent sized fish bin to drop them straight into so they dont flap around. Tack care when bringing them on board and keep your knives and hooks tidy which will save your skin puncture wounds as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 3:05pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a 2.7m inflatable - Aakron. Worked ok. Carried inflated on the back of a ute tray. Motor Yamaha 8hp.

I found -
- the boat had to be dragged off and on to the ute, ok, but across the beach was hard, due wheels sinking into sand or mud. Note - can get pneumatic wheels (far better than the usual hard wheels).
- carrying the 25kg motor was a pain (literally); because Im 70 and have a dodgy back.
- also carrying the tote tank,was a drag.
- ie 4 trips down and later up the beach (boat, motor, tank, gear); not fun
- if a got a little boat again, I would get a smaller motor - 25kg isn't necessary, 5hp would be oodles, as don't need to win any speed races.
I would look closely at a Nifty inflatable boat. I haven't actually seen one but it looks good to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 3:51pm
HBC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Kevin,

I've had the Takacat 300Lite for around 8 months now and it's been going well.  

I transport the boat by loading the boat on top of the ute tray lid, with the motor and all other bits and pieces in the tray itself. 
Usually I just park in the car park, set the boat up with the motor, fuel tank, rods etc and just push it to the beach or ramp. 
I've got the quick release wheels (pneumatic ones) which makes it a lot easier moving the boat around.
Transporting it this way has expanded where I can launch from, i.,e. don't need to go to a ramp to launch.
I got the 9.8HP Parsun ( it weighed the same as the 8hp) so i went with the 9.8.

One thing I learned the hard way is to make sure the fish go straight into the chilly bin.  I've got a couple of pin pricks in one pontoon and the floor, which I need to fix.  It still takes about a week to go a bit soft before needing a bit of a pump up.
If you're up my way in Army Bay, you're more than welcome to have a look or give it a go.
As I find it so easy to launch and do what I want to as far as fishing goes, my 15ft aluminium boat gets used a fraction of the inflatable.
Any other questions, please ask.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 5:51pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Me and my brother took his little inflatable out the Ohiwa Bar for a recce a couple of months ago.

Took a couple of softbaits, we weren't really expecting anything.

Ended up smashing it, fishing was red hot with nice sized snaps from about 3m of water.

Didn't have anything to put the snaps in and by the time we were finished 30mins later the boat was full of holes.

Not the ideal fishing boat, but we weren't very prepared either!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 6:25pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Kevin, have used a 3.4 Quicksilver for the past 3 yrs with a 5hp yammie. Has a ply floor and I keep, load and transport inflated on top of the van. Home made trailer/dolly lets me launch almost anywhere. Stable as...2 big guys sitting on one pontoon fishing no worries.
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:29am
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just bought a 2.5m aquapro RIB.
Planning on chucking it on the roof of a wagon and using an 8hp 2 stroke to get me out fishing and diving.
Any advice?
Whats the best way to patch on the go, or even better not make any holes? I think its PVC not Hypalon. Pretty old boat from 2005
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:40am
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't drop snapper on the tubes. I usually use a net.
When I go swimming I climb back aboard over the stern via the outboard leg.
If you pop a tube sit on other side and keep out of water.
Carry and epirb and vhf in a grab bag. I have mine clipped on so it doesn't drift away should we swamp or flip.
Never had a problem putting hooks into the tubes.

Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:35pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the advice, I'll be putting the snaps straight in the chilly once I get them up.

Are the unstable coming up over the sides?

Yeah sounds like a VHF is a must for a boat this small. I'll be taking it out to Pelorous sounds so hopefully it will be pretty sheltered.

On a side note, it seems as though it has a minor seeping leak. Does anyone know if a product like this would work in sealing it up from the inside?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:30pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

We're currently looking to buy a motor home, and I'd like to be able to take a small boat along on our travels to extend any fishing opportunities that may come my way

Ive got a 3.2m akron roll up inflatable, has inflatable keel with aluminium floor, bloody good to stand up in the inflatable flicking baits in the wash) 8hp, sits in our motorhomes boot

outboard, inflatable, tote tank, mixing oil, outboard stand plus the rest, all fits in the boot. On the roof of the boot, fishing rods, flounder light & spear plus other stuff is fixed to the roof ply, nicely out of the way
The removable aluminum floor sits in another outside locker
I use the steven tapp drift chute from off my kayak when drifting softies / sliders.... definitely needs something better to slow the drift down

I chose this brand of inflatable as it had some type of bow sprit (well, its really an extra layer of material to protect the pontoon from dragging the anchor rope & chain over it) & a tie off ring below it built into the pontoon to tie off an anchor rope

Fully loaded with just me, the boat planes around 8kt, full speed 15kt, with 2 ppl, about 8kt full speed

For fitting out a ff / gps for the above http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/topic85068.html

Our motorhome is a Traillite Coromandel
I see you're in waiuku, Traillites home base is in Paerata, not far from you

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:13pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looks like a mean set up Banana, must've had some good camping trips!
How does the inflatable keel handle in chop?
What size anchor do you use, or do you just use a sea anchor and drift?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 8:18am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah Blucky, have done stacks of cool trips around the country over the years, currently in your area for a few nights at Taurikura bay. The farmer lets us stay on his land for 5 bucks a night, just need to be self contained

The inflatable keel helps cut thru the short chop, as long as the sea conditions are in proportion to what it can realistically handle.... as you can imagine, most roll up inflatables are flat bottom

Just a standard anchor & chain I use that matches the size of the boat
Its very rare I drop the pick down in water deeper than 10m, prefer shallow fishing
Am new to softbaits & lure fishing, prefer doing that in my viking reload kayak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 1:10pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Taurikuras a great spot. Good Scallops there!

This is my setup I'm about to take on a mission over easter. Should be good for diving in some of the more remote spots.

Not the newest set up but should do the job LOL