Tonga Caddis grub

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tonga Caddis grub
    Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 10:40pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is my version of a net-building caddis grub, which is deadly in clear water on the Tongariro, where it is a prominent insect in the river. I have also done well with it on the Tukituki in Hawke's Bay, and it should go well on any river with lots of net-building caddis.

As mentioned on Rainbow's bead egg topic, today was my first attempt at taking photos of flies, so please bear with me.

My grub is definitely of the 'imitative' school, and isn't going to win any beauty pageants. It was inspired by John Parsons book Flytiers Art, which referenced the pale grubby brown green of the Tongariro caddis. I then incorporated influences from the likes of US guru Gary Borger, whose ties are based on what the trout sees, not ultra realism. His book Designing Trout Flies was a seminal one for me. A lot of the net-builder patterns on the internet have scud back, tail tufts, and more obvious legs. 
But - as Gary Borger says - in fast water, it seems to be more about the shape, lifelike movement and colour. I've tried the scud back, but it didn't noticeably increase my success on a fry which does the business in the plain version.

Hook is a Black Magic grub. Body is a now discontinued Scintilla dubbing, a pale olive brown which looks lighter when dry than it does when wet. A gold wire rib to suggest segmentation, and brown squirrel fur for the natural's darker head section (a few guard hairs picked out to suggest legs - I tried to show that in the back lit image). That's it. 
One thing you can't see is that I use pale olive thread for the first part of the grub, because if you use dark brown thread to dub the light body it comes through when the body is wet. i swap threads at the start of the thorax section.

When wet, this really glistens, and side by side with the real thing from the gut of a decent Tongariro brownie, it's hard tell the difference. I fish it below a bomb on the Big T.
I've also tied a version of the grub with a bright green body, which imitates the free living caddis. But the pale brown olive is my go to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 8:05pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

TTK Your caddis are looking good and very fishy.

Various caddis/creeper grubs    White one has segmented body made of tightly twisted raw wool,   I have tried all sorts of green wool but when wet this home dyed one is spot on for green caddis.   The large creeper is a mix of dubbed NZ seal under fur body and guard hair for legs.   Smallest is #18 I used on weary (one cast only) browns in skinny water.   Legs are either hare or seal guard hair.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 10:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Rainbow, appreciate the comment.

I like the look of those twisted wool bodies, and your very buggy ties.

Interesting comment re your green caddis. Many tiers don't consider the wet colour of their materials.  The 'green caddis' dubbings I've seen in shops normally look too bright to my eye.

I'm a bit scared to ask how you got hold of NZ seal fur in case someone from Doc is listening! Smile

I have no qualms picking up a frozen stiff hare on SH1 when driving through the plateau land between Tokoroa and Wairakei on the way to fish Taupo.

And i love using road kill possum fur for nymph bodies - it really glistens. Ribbed with gold wire, a brownish pelt is a dynamite dubbed body for a Tongariro bomb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 11:45pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Bought an old seal fur collar in a Salvation Army shop.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 11:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, not what my imagination was cooking up!

TTK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 11:55pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Go to your PM

Rainbow