Wanting to tick the Elephant fish off the list

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanting to tick the Elephant fish off the list
    Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:10pm
cmac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys,
just moved to Wellington from Sydney, Australia.
The Mrs and I are super keen to tick off an elephant fish off the bucket list.
I've done a little bit of research on here and the web and It tells me its not the best time for them without a boat.
That said, I love a challenge.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as where I could tangle with one of these ugly ******* land based?
I'd prefer to stay away from the busy wharves.

Thanks heaps!

Col
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 8:20am
Big H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seatoun beach in a southerly is pretty good option. I've also caught them in Balena bay. Prawn bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:01pm
cmac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

awesome, thanks for that. Will give it a go there. cheers! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NomadAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:12pm
NomadAngler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm looking to do the same as you cmac.  I'm trying to get one from shore to knock off my bucket list.  Getting a bit distracted trying to get a King on lure from shore though!

Let us know how you go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:09pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dead easy to catch guys, a boat helps though, fresh squid on a ledger rig and 2/0 hooks fished on the side of the main shipping channels and you will land some, they fight like demons! Make sure you're on the sand/mud. Some days you can catch half a dozen with ease and they grow to about 7kg in the harbour.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Cool, would love to catch one too but can't see myself fishing down there anytime soon. How big do they grow? 7kg sounds impressive. I had some at a fish and chippy down the south island a couple of years ago. Was very nice
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 9:45pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't you just spray paint one of your monster Manukau gurnard silver, Smudge?

They grow some pretty big 'carrots' down that way, too. Even I got one over 2kg off the shore down there. You'll have to plan an elephant fish and gurnard mission, Smudge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah TTK, I have heard it's the home of the monster gurnard
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:55am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Skip to 1:55 on this Nomad Angler, this is about average size around 3-4kg. I often mistake them for small kings on their first run, only ever use 10lb braid on them. Some say they are great eating, but the ones I have tried have been pretty "rubbery" despite being handled and processed correctly.

They can take VERY VERY softly, strike at the slightest feeling or nudge, they don't really "bite" as such. Fresh fish like Mackerel is also another great bait. The spine is an absolute weapon!... you really have to watch it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NomadAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:13pm
NomadAngler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the info flyfisher, really appreciated.  Access to a boat is my biggest issue, but I may have an option there for a while.  Otherwise I may try surfcasting from around the Eastbourne area to hopefully get near the channels.

I fish for the photos, and release virtually everything.  Pretty keen to add a photo of an Elephant fish to the collection.  Also keen on getting a small Hammerhead Shark up north.  I saw you spotted Gary's one on FB the other day too.

Always enjoy watching your videos, though it makes me pretty jealous!  Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:40pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should not be too hard from the shore mate, I believe they often get them round Seatoun beach. I have often seen the egg cases washed up there, so they do frequent the area. The harbour ones are mostly around 10-12m deep, so not at all impossible from the shore, just need sand.They are soooo photogenic, such a cool looking fish! Only ever killed one, could never bring myself to kill them again after that, their skin is like tin foil!