Best / easiest way to sell a trailer boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best / easiest way to sell a trailer boat
    Posted: 21 May 2016 at 6:53pm
junior fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at selling my Buccanear 550 Billfisher and buying larger.
Is it better to sell it privately and put up with the tyre kickers or sell/trade at a bost yard and deal with them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:00pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I believe you would likely get more selling privately but dealing with tyre kickers is part of process unfortunately. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:18pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

price it well and it will sell faster and tou will deal with leas tire kickers. serious buyers know the value and a well priced boat gets snapped up quickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 8:22pm
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by CanadianJohn CanadianJohn wrote:

price it well and it will sell faster and tou will deal with leas tire kickers. serious buyers know the value and a well priced boat gets snapped up quickly.

+1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:27pm
Silver
Silver

How is best place in Auckland to sell it through? Thers nothing on Trade Me for a price guide
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 11:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

compare it to other similar boats on trademe. best is to view the SOLD boats so you know what they really sell for not what dreamers are asking for them. then price accordingly.
or alternatively post on here some pics and as much details as you can and the kind boys of fishing.net will give you an idea i'm sure.

also some of the facebook groups allow selling of boats. mine sold very very quickly recently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 4:12am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CanadianJohn CanadianJohn wrote:

X2 Yes be realistic - price it according to age and condition, sell on trade me - I as a buyer would rather deal with seller directly, and write an honest story with lots of photos and say why selling, if regularly serviced say so - always be polite with buyers in Q + A sell at a price ono (would you bid on an auction without testing/seeing/checking out a boat first?  I wouldn't, if a buyer rings and sounds serious you can firm up on price subject to buyer being happy with boat)- pretty quickly a serious buyer will come through.  Sell coming into summer if possible more buyers on trade me and tick all the sell  options to maximise exposure, will cost you a $150 or more but worth it.  When sold go with buyer to bank and get paid in full (will need photo id) and then go to post shop and change ownership and all done.  Last boat I sold buyer came up to Akld from Napier he agreed to meet my asking price over phone, his cousin came and looked at boat that night and he came up that weekend to buy and take home, was happy with boat so paid in full after inspecting himself.  You will get more from private sale than a trade in or can get a better deal buying new boat without trading old one.  If you can afford it get new boat first and setup then sell old one, is a genuine reason for selling and means you still get to go boating, takes a while to set a new boat up or find one. Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:37am
Silver
Silver

Thanks for all your help.
Its a 2003 550 with a evinrude 135 on a single axle trailer.
Always serviced, 307 hours.
Will brave a boat shop as moving out of Auckland in a month and would rather not take it up there as will take a while to build shed etc and buy another there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

CJ sums up well....thats exactly how we brought our boat....we looked around for over a yr.. already got the tow vehicle.
Then a boat popped up on Trade me on the shore.....fairly priced.. which as it happened significantly under the general prices of boats that had been on for well over a yr (and some still there after 4 yrs...

The same thing goes for outboard motors...most, including dealers asking way too much.. then the occasional one pops up... 2 in the last 12 months, which we missed out on

list price too high gets no more than a pass over from serious  buyers.
A start price bottom of the fair price window, gets serious enquiries....and negotiation/ bids start from there.

In most cases the problem lays with the seller, having a price based on something like "It owes me X amount" or "brought for this so (SHOULD) be worth this"
Which is where if one takes a car to a dealer or turners, the seller gets rather a rude awakening to the reality of sale prices.

Also with so many 2nd hand boats, most serious buyers know or consult with others who know... Which means the buyer knows what is under powered or min powered and what is not. Unfortunately when one starts to get into the 4.5 m boats and up, so many/ most for sale are under or min powered... a HUGE reason why many also dont sell, and a large proportion are over priced AND under powered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 10:07pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im in the same ball park My Surtees 495 this years model and I'm trying to work out what its worth will be some ware in the high 30's as its all 2016 with bells and whistles 
Mine is on Facebook atm but had a few stupid people message me. like others have said you have to deal with the tyre kickers mate its all part of it 

http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 7:41am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Easiest way to sell anything? $1 reserve on Trademe.
You won't get the best price in the world but you'll get a hell of a lot of views/watchers and you'll get close to what it's worth.
You do have to put up with a LOT of stupid people thinking they are going to own it for $200 though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:21am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Easiest way to sell anything? $1 reserve on Trademe.
You won't get the best price in the world but you'll get a hell of a lot of views/watchers and you'll get close to what it's worth.
You do have to put up with a LOT of stupid people thinking they are going to own it for $200 though.
Don't know if I am brave enough to do that....what if it does go for $200?  Just saying...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 9:23am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tend to agree with Rozboon...
Or if not wishing to go that far, a reserve below the realistic bottom end of the fair price window.
Seller forget that places like trade me ARE AUCTIONS... based on live actutions and react in the same way.
The difference is in real life auctions the auctioneer will advise the seller as to a reasonable reserve and/ or start price.
On trademe people go to auction something... look at other start prices , have no idea how often the current listing have been re listed...or how long.. and get a very false and over priced concept of what its really worth in the market.

Even most of the $1 start often have a reserve way too high....
Bottom line.. start with a low start price, even $1  and bottom end of the realistic actual market value reserve.

Its a auction to sell items at a price the market demands at that point in time NOT a ad in a newspaper where the seller can turn up with a wad of cash in the front pocket, another in the back pocket and negotiate a price

And yes Trademe do have this faculty also, but most genuine buyers hesitate from making or opening negotiations simply because the list price is so way over priced....try to negotiate down to a fair market middle of the window price and one gets called a bloody tyre kicker

It works both ways

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 9:29am
Titanium
Titanium

sold a people mover by $1 reserve auction. three times. not a good idea. you get fwhits that bid and don't buy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 7:31pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sure am mate gutted to be honest but i may have a chance to get into this twisted housing market in Auckland so need to grab it by the ballsWink
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:30pm
Silver
Silver

Any idea what it is worth to sell?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:41pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Depends on motor and trailer mainly. If the motor is old, tired and thirsty then you will never get much, even if the boat is good.
 Similar if the trailer doesn't have rego & WOF or has a lot of rust. 
Telling the buyer to sort trailer WOF knocks off an easy $1000 for what I would pay.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Similar if the trailer doesn't have rego & WOF or has a lot of rust. 
Telling the buyer to sort trailer WOF knocks off an easy $1000 for what I would pay.

That is rather conservative I recon....
If just bearings, not a hard driveway job.. trade marine bearing set around the $20/ 25 and a pot of quality triple guard bearing grease  about $30.
Rust.. well thats another story.. depends on the trailer construction/ design.. modern trailer chassis tend to rust from the inside out.. may as well buy a new trailer.. if just axles couple $100.

Older pre around mid 90s boats the sell price is basically the motor value if on a good trailer
new boats motor value plus throw in a bit more for boat( bimminis , seats hull windows etc.) and trailer depending on condition. Sounders and gear tend to be just bonus thrown in.