San francisco residents over it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: San francisco residents over it
    Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:12pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One third of San Francisco residents say they plan to quit the city within in the next two years,citing cost of housing ,rents and traffic congestion as main reasons.

Same trend is starting  to occur in Auckland.

And when that happens the workers who perform essential services on the lower end of the wage scale leave first.
source cnn money
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:42pm
bigears View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I heard they were off to Canada should Trump get to the other end .........  Wacko

Yip just don't understand why some folk need the stress that comes with
living in a large city, traffic, housing cost etc
Great to visit and party in but to live in 24/7 not me much prefer smaller towns
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:48am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Indeed, small towns such as, hmmm, say Matamata (so good they spelled it twice), are undoubtedly the centre of civilisation as we know it today. Them poor schmucks stuck in Aucks, Wgtn etc, just don't know how unlucky they are.... :-)
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 5:05am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I was born in Tokoroa, have lived in Tokoroa, Cambridge, Karapiro, Whangarei, Timaru, Burnham, Christchurch, Tauranga and now live in Auckland. Living in a big city isnt all bad, I coukd never see myself living in Auckland when I was working on a dairy farm just out of Whangarei. Now im here I cant see me leaving in a hurry, in fact its the longest I have ever lived in one place.

If one third of the population left that would be great, but its not, its growing and growing very fast, because more people want to live here. Apart from buying a house, the cost of living in Auckland is lower than a lot of places in NZ, heating is minimal as its warm, competition for customers is strong so things like fuel can be cheaper than the rest of the country (direct pipeline from the oil refinery also keeps transport cost down). Flights from auckland to everywhere in nz are cheap and international flights are cheapest out of Auckland.

We also have plenty of natural resources with seafood in good quantities on both coasts, wild pigs and deer not far from auckland.

There are loads of market gardens and inexspensive places to buy fruit and vege. Plenty of markets to buy things at reasonable prices all over Auckland.

Then there is the Hairaki Gulf, not a bad spot!

We also have one or two nice restraunts, bars, clubs, sporting venues and get the odd band playing!

Only real negatives are the traffic, which is terrible but for the most part I manage to avoid that. My drive to work includes 5 sets of traffic lights and 4 roundabouts, is 20km long and takes me 18minutes.

We have a bit of crime, like everywhere, but how often are the child killers, cop shooters, armed seiges and murders in NZ taking place in Auckland? As a percentage of the population I would say you have less chance of any of those things happening in Auckland!

House prices are high, yeah that sux for the young people who want to buy a house, but on the other side of that coin is the existing home owners are accumulating a nice little nest egg for when the retire and leave Auckland. Or, they can leave the family house to the kids to live in.

As a comparison to rural NZ, how many young farmers are able to leave home and buy there own farm now days? Not a lot id say!

So why dont the young fellas leave Auckland and buy a house somewhere else in NZ? i guess its because Auckland has a larger number of the best jobs, does that make it a good city or bad?

You will find most of the population, like in most big cities actually live on the outskirts, which in essence are like small towns anywhere else in NZ.

Dont beleive everything the media tells you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 5:21am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good points raging bull.  Whilst I live reluctantly in Akld for now I can see the benefits you talk about, we have a house in Taumarunui and I love visiting and staying for a few weeks but live there?  Not yet...main thing for sanity in Akld is minimise exposure to crazy traffic (I work from home) - and of course as a home owner I am feeling the love at present.   As online shopping gets better and better and the internet improves the reasons to stay are falling for me....
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 5:34am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Would happily move out of Auckland if I won the lotto, hard enough finding work as it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 8:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im with RB...
The crime issue is perception created by media....not stats.

We live where most ppl would never live, and been there for way over 20yrs... Your home is what U create.
Where else could we , even at Auckland prices, have a double garage and carport, a 12m x 7 m workshop shed, under cover off the covered deck spa pool....veggie gardens, avairies...landscaped bush type gardens.
Sure traffic is bad....but choose your times and directions of travel.. even rush hr towing the boat to and from the ramp is ok.
Neighbours.. well again, no matter where u live, it is upto the individual to give the odd wave, a hello, a few fish or veggies over the fence to create a area of good neighbours.
Yep food prices are good, also heaps of markets around, surrounded by local supermarkets, malls, and everything from fast food to resturants in close proximity.

BUT... as mentioned above...we are starting to see a lack of quality service people... from professionals like teachers, tradies,  not being able to afford to live or buy in Auckland.

Yes we have done the round trip , looking at cashing up and moving out of Auckland... yes we have even rented out the house and moved to Cambridge for a while.
Bottom line small towns, unless u grew up there it takes decades to become accepted as a full local... like most places / clubs there is a clickyness.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:15am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Im with RB...
The crime issue is perception created by media....not stats.

We live where most ppl would never live, and been there for way over 20yrs... Your home is what U create.
Where else could we , even at Auckland prices, have a double garage and carport, a 12m x 7 m workshop shed, under cover off the covered deck spa pool....veggie gardens, avairies...landscaped bush type gardens.
Sure traffic is bad....but choose your times and directions of travel.. even rush hr towing the boat to and from the ramp is ok.
Neighbours.. well again, no matter where u live, it is upto the individual to give the odd wave, a hello, a few fish or veggies over the fence to create a area of good neighbours.
Yep food prices are good, also heaps of markets around, surrounded by local supermarkets, malls, and everything from fast food to resturants in close proximity.

BUT... as mentioned above...we are starting to see a lack of quality service people... from professionals like teachers, tradies,  not being able to afford to live or buy in Auckland.

Yes we have done the round trip , looking at cashing up and moving out of Auckland... yes we have even rented out the house and moved to Cambridge for a while.
Bottom line small towns, unless u grew up there it takes decades to become accepted as a full local... like most places / clubs there is a clickyness.

Good points Steps - yes small towns are hard to break into - though as you say giving fish and vegies to neighbours is a great ice breaker - one advice I was given a long time ago (before prices went crazy) is don't burn your bridges by selling up if you want to move try living in an area and rent your city house out so you can go back if it doesn't work out - there is a big difference between staying in an area on holiday and living in it...other aspect is that when older you need to be near hospitals and facilities etc in the event of ill health...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:34am
Titanium
Titanium

I did say MATAMATA is the centre of civilisation....not taumaranui, Cambridge et al, I mean, they don't spell Cambridge "cambridgecambridge" or Auckland Aucklandauckland do they? No, they don't! That is because they know that Matamata is twice as good!
Papatoetoe comes close, but not really.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:36am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Matamata is where Aucklanders take a crap whilst on their way to some place better I thought? Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:30am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Capt A is onto it. Matamata matters. Could be the new center of civilisation. Perfectly positioned . Just build a sky tower taller than Aucklands . Make sure it is designed to look like a giant asparagus spear. Painted green to fit the national image. From the top you will be able to watch workups at the Mercs.
International airport will follow and pretty soon Mata mata will be the new Las Vegas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:36am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

I did say MATAMATA is the centre of civilisation....not taumaranui, Cambridge et al, I mean, they don't spell Cambridge "cambridgecambridge" or Auckland Aucklandauckland do they? No, they don't! That is because they know that Matamata is twice as good!
Papatoetoe comes close, but not really.....
Yeah Nah - to far from a good beach and salt water to be primo spot - I still remember on my way through 15 yrs ago and missus wanted a flat white - shop said oh you mean a coffee with milk in it?  She almost died LOL!
I am with Cirrus, is where you stop at Maccas for a coffee and a crap on your way through!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:54am
Titanium
Titanium

Indeed true, The Hub of Civilisation (i.e., Matamata) is indeed the only spot in this benighted world which offers succour and relief to the masses burdened with a need to aimlessly wonder the worlds wastes (I.e.:-everywhere wot ain't matamata) in their direst need.
We would have buildings way better than the sky tower, but we are a modest and humble bunch down here in civilisation, and think it is very poor form to build big phallus shaped erections in a vain attempt to hide obvious insecurities by the people in that general area. We matamatitians have no such insecurities, obviously.
As for being too far from the water, oh COME ON, honestly. An hour from matamata you are at Rotorua lakes for trout, Tauranga for east coast, the hauraki gulf from Thames and (if you drive a tad faster) the west coast. You can't get a better fishing base!
Now now now, I can feel all the umbrage being taken, and the outraged typing of those poor unhappy masses stuck outside of matamatas civilisational influences, but really people, you should just admit it, you just ain't blessed enough to live here in the best spot in the whole darn world. I know it seems unfair, but there ya go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 4:48pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big problem is that young people trying to get on the property ladder in Auckland seem to think that they should be able to afford to buy in central areas by right. Because they can't afford to buy in these suburbs, they moan and ***** that it's all these rich pricks faults, the government and whoever else. WAKE THE **** UP! Since when does everybody need to live in Auckland anyway!?Wacko 

I'm glad I bought when I did, which was just when the market started to go ape. Only 12km from work in what was once a less desirable area. I could probabiy get twice what I paid for the place now. Currently looking at moving out of the big smoke.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 5:25pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Everything is O.K. Just heard so my self . What a relief.
Nick Smith told parliament today that he does not believe there is a housing crisis,says rising demand is a good news story that needs a supply response ,just like he has been told for the last few years.

Later Dear leader told a business meeting that Auckland house prices were a sign of success .

Just goes to show ,all these people worrying about nothing.

It is also rumored that the National theme song will soon  be ---Dont worry be happy.