Can you ID this boat hull?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lazysnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you ID this boat hull?
    Posted: 03 May 2016 at 12:16am
Lazysnapper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This project is going to keep me off street for the next two years I guessLOL
Do you know who built this fibreglass hull? A friend told me I have now a retired crayfishing boat, but I have actually no idea! Can you tell me anything about this type of ship. Engine is a 72hp Lees.

Cheers

Lazysnapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 7:45am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The hull design looks like a Hartley. 
Without measurements I would say a Vixen 25 or Fast Worker 25, built in GRP.
http://www.hartley-boats.com/vixen25.html
http://www.hartley-boats.com/fastwork.html
I am not sure who moulded them and or when. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Black Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 7:46am
Black Max View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

An early Marlborough?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:49am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

google bertram 18 and hit images. your hull looks like a bertram 20. but you get better images if you type bertram 18.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:53am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My first thought was Westcoaster - Aussie built fibreglass planing hulls widely used in the lobster industry.  A lot were imported into NZ second hand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 10:10am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whatever it is ,looks like a nice solid boat that will serve you well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 10:19am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep looks like nice hull shape.  I'd be tempted to move the wheelhouse further aft though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:01pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Early marlborough rapier extended hull.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lazysnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:06pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys! With your help I was able to pin down the hull maker. It was the Marlborough Fibreglass Limited Ltd in Blenheim. The company closed down in 1998. The Hartley guys said it is a Vixen or Fast worker, CanadianJohn mentioned Bertram. Very similar hull design, but shorter. I bet they 'learned' all from each other.Wink

Early marlborough rapier extended hull! Thanks for that notalloyit! What is her approx.  DOB. 60s, 70s?

If you have a document flying around  or any other item linked to her - please let me know!
Now I need a place that salvages parts taken from old commercial boats? Ship yard?

Thanks again

Lazysnapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lazysnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 4:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Good afternoon!

Update

We finally succeeded in starting the engine. Actually it seems the diesel is in rather good shape even after so many years. My next plan is to pull the engine since I want to check the gear and the block paint. It seems the skipper who operated this boat sat on the engine? The large engine compartment takes almost 2/3 of the deck. There is no space for my legs between the console and the engine. Should I remove the console? The helm pump and engine control panel could be installed into the cabin wall, but where should the engine control go? I don't want to change the cabin though. There is enough work left! Any ideas for the helm setup?
I also need to find a suitable hydraulic steering for this 24footer, used preferably. A couple of large galvanized cleats or bollards would suit her. Do you know where I could find a pair?

Thanks for your ideas

Lazysnapper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 9:39am
Gold
Gold

possibly early 80's the rapier was a hull designed for marlborough sounds, solid, flared bow for sea keeping and spray deflection. Several variants, one of the most solid for era.

A mans boat, no prissy stripes and shiny bits, Just the boat, nuff said, do check for osmosis, , wear on keel etc.  
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lazysnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 1:14pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks!

Was it a generic design, or do you remember a particular builder who made this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 2:07pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's possible to create room for your feet reasonably easily but what about your upper body?

It's necessary at times to stand steering the boat.  To do this you need enough horizontal distance between the front of your engine box and your wheel

Take an imaginary line down from the steering wheel.  Where this line hits the deck, how far is it from the front edge of the engine box?

In my boat I have about 550mm from the front edge of my seat to the steering wheel.  I wouldn't want any less.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 2:10pm
Gold
Gold

would have been made nelson or blenheim possibly. havelock.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 4:09pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The size of that engine box suggests you may have a 6 cylinder Ford. You should have no problems servicing it and it will go a lot more miles on the water. Moon Engines do a lot of work with them, but chase up a local tractor mechanic and if he fishes make him a regular crew. It will be worth it....
Steerinhg - contact Marine Direct (http://www.marinedirect.co.nz/ ) and install a Hydrive unit (http://hydrive.com.au/admiral-series-datasheets-inboards/) - Comes as a kit and I did it myself on my 30 footer and they work very well - 12 years old and still working very well.. You will not need the biggest one - and you can add an autopilot at a later date.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lazysnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 5:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks! Great! She accommodates actually a 4-cylinder Dorset. Robust engines! As soon as the temperature allows I'm going to start my fibreglass work. I think I should go with Epoxy. The floor needs a new layer, the cockpit as well. I want to tidy up the bilge! Looks messy! Got a set of new gauges today. Sit in my workshop cutting the control panel.Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 6:34pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know it is a silly idea, buuuttttt......how about ripping out the motor etc, etc, and replace it with a decent outboard.
Recover all that deckspace. Don't know if it will affect the boats stability, but ....well, it's what I would do. That engine box taking up the whole deck space is just ridiculous......
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.