Looking for a knife blank

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hellsborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a knife blank
    Posted: 01 May 2016 at 12:58am
hellsborne View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys. I'm wanting to make a knife and I'm looking for a stainless steel filleting blank. I've looked around afew websites in New Zealand with no luck so I thought I'd ask if any of you would be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:38am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I guess you could contact one of the knife manufacturers in new Zealand and ask them, or get one with a plastic handle and maybe melt it off, or burn off a wooden one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gruntled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 8:35am
Gruntled View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

knifemaking.com

Best site I've found so far for knife making parts.
I might have Alzheimer's, but at least I don't have Alzheimer's.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:20pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You could ask GreenGuy on here. He was making knives and sharpening for a while.  Hasn't mentioned that for a while so may have given up on that but he might still have materials or at least access to hem?
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 12:57pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not stainless but awesome knife blank if you can find an old circular saw blade - larger industrial ones. 
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hellsborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 10:41pm
hellsborne View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the help guys. I've sent green guy a pm so I'll see what he says. If I can't find anything local I'll just use the websites you guys said.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:31am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

been watching a few youtube vids on knife making and while the majority have been the blacksmith type of setup i did watch a couple where the work was done using an angle grinder and an old lawnmower blade. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:04am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The other one that is often used is an old industrial hacksaw blade, they make very good knives.