outboard size

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote irish. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: outboard size
    Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 5:03pm
irish. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I want to buy an outboard that will trawl in the lakes at 3 mph, I need to use this as my main motor as well, so what is the largest outboard which would do this comfortably, I have a 2007 115 yamaha at the moment but it only goes down to 6 mph
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote irish. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 5:06pm
irish. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

my boat is a rayglass 470
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 6:45pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Change the prop on your current motor?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 6:45pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You could just change the prop, halve the current pitch, and you'd go from 6 to 3mph.. But obviously speed would be halved throughout the whole rpm range. (More or less)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:07pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best thing to do is get a kicker obviously. If that isn't possible next thing to do is experiment with triming up to reduce forwards thrust and/or drag a drogue behind to increase drag. Make sure that it is tough and securely attached as you will be putting more stress on it than normal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:17pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is an auxiliary an option?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:02am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A drogue maybe?
Cheap but not always practical.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:30am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Why not just kick the motor into gear then out as required? Rather than constantly in gear and pushing.
I miss killing things in NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:08am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Cigar Cigar wrote:

Change the prop on your current motor?

Yeah what he said, just spend 600-700 bucks on a smaller pitch prop. Or As others have said, spend the same amount of money on a used trolling motor about 6-10 HP.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 10:03am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you go to low in pitch the boat won't plane. Either a smaller aux or try towing a drogue to slow you down. I don't think you will find a single engine that will let you plane adequately as well as troll at very low speeds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 11:52am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are saying when you put out motor in to gear it does 6knts?does not idle away from ramp?if that is the case I would say the problem is in your linkage set up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 1:06pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do you use all the HP of that 115hp Yamaha? Is skiing or biscuiting a requirement. Have a talk to your local dealer, and look at what a 60hp or 70hp engine would do on your hull.
You will trade top end speed for lower speed.
Other than that buy a 4hp outboard and bracket and use that for trout trolling/harling. Most Taupo fishing is in calm conditions so you do not need an overpowered auxilary.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:29pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having just bought a GPS 12v Minn Kota for a 5.6m boat I reckon one of these would be awesome especially the GPS anchor lock feature whilst jigging over sign. 1 or 2 deep cycle batteries in parallel will keep you going all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:55am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Joker do you mind sharing what the trolling motor cost you .. I've been thinking about one for my next boat.

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Having just bought a GPS 12v Minn Kota for a 5.6m boat I reckon one of these would be awesome especially the GPS anchor lock feature whilst jigging over sign. 1 or 2 deep cycle batteries in parallel will keep you going all day.