Jigging Wellington

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote el lousto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jigging Wellington
    Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 11:56am
el lousto View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, anyone know any easy to access kingfish mechanical jigging spots. I have a 12 foot tinnie so cannot go out wide to target these fish. Looking for places on the south coast, makara, pukerua bay etc
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:50pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There's nothing I know of that's strictly "in close"

Best bet would be to chuck it in at Makara and head up to Boom I guess, although we shot down there a little while ago and couldn't find any decent structure.
EDIT: South of Makara there's a heap of interesting looking stuff on the chart, would be worth an explore in the right weather.

Next closest would be around the top and back of Mana, plenty of good structure out there, and maybe the pin/lump off the end of Hongoeka Bay.

There's apparently some structure worth jigging over between Puk Bay and that point but it's something you would have to hunt out with a sounder and take GPS marks, I haven't found any yet.

On the south coast, maybe Airport Reef, otherwise again it will be uncharted structure you have to hunt for with a sounder.

A bit more of a run is the north end of Kapiti, and then the widest (but some would argue the most productive) is Hunter Bank, but that's a bit of a drive in a 12ft boat and you would want to be damn sure it wasn't going to get snotty all of a sudden. I have seen a couple of boats around that size out there, although they were inflatable pontoons so a little bit safer if it all turns to crud.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:04am
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to take my 13ft tinnie out to Kapiti on a regular basis just pick the good days :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote el lousto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 4:04pm
el lousto View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yea sounds good. I'll probs try everywhere but start round makara way and maybe kapiti I if I can get a really good weather window.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 3:20pm
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

heaps of good ground around Makara coast we have jigged up tons of fish around there some over 30 keg. no one seems to jig it but if you read the charts you will find a bunch of good spots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 6:32pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was waiting for you to chip in Daveo.
Was down your ways last week was blowing a gale & we had an earthquake
When do you get time to go jigging
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 1:41pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kapiti North and South ends as well as aeroplane island
Hunters bank
Headlands and pinacles up and down the west coast
We have even caught them on the sand in Pukerua bay during summer (on bait, jigs and livies)
South coast - some spots around the trench, turakerei, karori light
A few caught in the harbour and off moa point, normally livies or spearing in the shallows.
Most fish caught November - May.