Okuma Makaira Game rods

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Okuma Makaira Game rods
    Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 7:14am
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Are these any good?

I understand they are CD blanks but they are cheaper to purchase than the CD Tournament rods.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 7:24am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

may be a cd blank but not the same as tournament.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:24am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a look at the componentry if its a name brand like Aftco then you're probably Ok. If it's Alps I've heard some worrying stuff about Alps, but alot of people use it and they will probably back it up here.
If it doesn't have any brand marked on it, then its something like Pacific Bay and you'll get what you pay for. Will still work , bt you should maintain it more, like checking and lubing the rollers every couple of trips. 

These days for Game rods Blanks are blanks, there's a bit between them in the higher end stuff that you'll need for Broadbill and Larger Marlin, but for all Stripies and most blues, along with kingies, tuna etc. just about any Game rod blank will be fine.

Hope that helps.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 10:26am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea ,who'da thought all your fancy(alps) "BB roller guides" would have steel bb in them.
I thought the makaira rod I had was too soft in the tip and loaded up too fast,bottom section too stiff.
 I think the tournament rod is stronger and more progressive and it has an extra guide
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 10:37am
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the replies. The components are alps but hard to say what quality they are. Sounds like the blanks are different which probably explains the price difference.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 5:52pm
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I bought a combo , a makaira 50 and CD rod last year. Was setting the drag at 6kg and the rod snapped about 200 mm from top between 2nd and third ring. Ended up getting a shimano tiagra as replacement. Glad it wasn't with a fish on. The reel is awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:08pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The CD Tournament rod are better IMO.
Tight lines
PE Pete