Southern Flats

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southern Flats
    Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:05pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

An excellent article by Adrian Bell on fly fishing for ray rider kings on the South Island flats in the latest Fishing News just out. Amazing action and a great article. Part two next month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Virtualgamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:23pm
Virtualgamble View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Craig - is part one in April's mag? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 7:24am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No sorry, May. Has Just come out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:22pm
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Must have a read
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 12:01pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

From a fly fishing perspective it is a pity Fishing News was the vehicle for that story. 

Mostly because I'm not really a fan of the publication and partly because it is a fly fishing story and I am always left wondering "what is that doing in a magazine surrounded by treble hooked jigs, dead tuna and marlin and adds for kontiki's". I guess that is as black and white as I can put it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:30pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah nah. I'll happily disagree with that. I think it is an very interesting news story about fishing... and fly fishing is still fishing. It deserves to be printed in a fishing magazine with the widest possible reach.

Sure, it might attract the wrong sort of attention, but I doubt it. The articles describes long drives, wet wading, active physical fishing and fishing that is reliant on good spotting skills. That eliminates about 95% of other fishermen in the country, but it doesn't eliminate a whole lot of fly fishers. 

Obviously I'm biased but I do read Fishing News simply because it has some variety. I'm an avid reader of some of the South Island stuff, simply because it is different. Most of the snapper and kingfish articles I avoid. 

I personally think that this sort of article detailing an interesting fishing technique in interesting water is just made for general consumption. Lots of people will read this article. Lots of non-fly fishers will read this article. I think its appearance in Fishing News is a great way to promote fly fishing and saltwater fly fishing to the wider NZ fishing community.

Again - well done Adrian Clap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 12:21am
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm with Millsy but i guess only for my own selfish desire to have kept it a bit special. Anyway, the horse bolted a while back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 6:53pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fly fishing is more like golf than fishing IMO. Think I'll wait for the article in Flylife (on the same topic) to come out soon.

The article Adrian wrote is likely beautifully written Craig.