Simple Smoked Kahawai Recipe

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bradley NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple Smoked Kahawai Recipe
    Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 11:40am
Bradley NZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ingredients

Kahawai Fillets with skin on

Bradley Demerara cure

Brown sugar or maple syrup

Garlic powder

Preparation

Lightly sprinkle Bradley Demerara cure over fish fillets

Rub in brown sugar or maple syrup on fillets and refrigerate overnight

Additionally add a sprinkle of garlic powder depending on taste requirements

Smoking Method

Using Alder flavoured bisquettes smoke/cook at 76C for 3 or 4 hours depending on thickness of fillets with vent wide open.

If extra browning on fish is required raise temperature to 91°C for the last hour, be sure not to over cook.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009668553535

http://www.bradleysmoker.co.nz/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 9:10pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

"If extra browning on fish is required raise temperature to 91°C for the last hour, be sure not to over cook."

Raise it to 91°C from what"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bradley NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 9:54am
Bradley NZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haha good point...Fish should be smoked at around 76C for the time period stated and then only if extra browning is required do you raise temp.
Original post has been updated Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sweet As Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 9:00pm
Sweet As View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is it ok to smoke fish at 66 deg C. I was given a recipe that said to smoke the fish I was using at 66 deg C.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 9:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder why so much sugar?
 many people cant eat food with that much sugar...
And why so hot for so long?
I have been experimenting and talking to a couple professional craft smokers in recent months, dropping sugar back... both in my marinates and rubs to near nil with better results.. having to have sugar to make the gold brown is a myth.
 Filleted and skinned, blood meat removed thick KY fillets 45 / 50 deg for 4 to 6 hrs.. just cooked remain moist and ready to process in the kitchen.  And doesnt stuff up a couple friends who have diabetes issues for several reasons... or mess up those loosing weight.