Tracker for stolen gear

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tracker for stolen gear
    Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 9:28pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What do you think,
Cheap pos good for a trailer but as I understand we would need others to have the app operating as well to get the gps tracking to work
So if heaps are sold great if I'm the only one then no
Can be purchased here one being Noel lemming

https://buy.thetrackr.co/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 10:01pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

H I OTTO    To my mind you want a tracker that is self sufficient and not rely on any app or software you need to pay ongoing costs....   I'm just installing a tracker on my boat and it is connected to a small battery to give a constant 12v power supply to the unit..  When home, its keept charged by a solar trickle charger.
Its easy for someone to disconnect the main battery which would render the tracker useless..  but this is a secondary motorbike sized battery somewhat hidden and used mainly for my wash down pump so seldom used... the unit has a sim card in it and by simply messaging the sim/unit from your cellphone, it will respond with gps position url for google earth showing exactly where your boat now is....It also has a nice feature that it will automatically send a txt to you if it goes out of a area boundary you have pre-set..   say 5 kms. Once the unit gets 5 km away , you will get a txt telling you the boat is on the move out of the preset 5 km area..  They are cheap, compact and in the long run can save a lot of tears for not much monies..
just go to   http://www.aliexpress.com   and type in "gps tracker"  and you can select from the many available , many with free shipping..
(Boat car motorbike whatever as long as it can supply 12v supply constantly)

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 8:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These things, like burner smart phones.. or simply that old one up on the self with the broken screen....dont need a big battery any where the size of a motor bike.
 And since the screen doent need to turn on, all the background installed apps, uninstalled  (rooted) or disabled and force stopped... the battery will last for ages.
One can add a tasker app, to auto fire your GPS tracker app on movement....or simply enable admin in a android, and track thru google.
That will have it last even longer....
simply feeding it off the main battery to maintain the internal charge will give around 5 to 6 days of operation if the main battery is disconnected...or a external back up battery....say 10,000mah ($15) with a feed off the main battery.
Sim card with a basic $15/ 20 per month, free txting , limited calls, 250 meg far more than enough
And again can set up so it will txt  and or email and or ring u if the boat is moved or bumped within the parameters that u wish to set.
Hell can also setup  also as a spy camera that activated on movement, and transmits on pixel change movement like most CCTV units... with recording sent to or phone or recorded on a cloud server, or even to a home computer....ID the people before they can even find the phone.

So an old smart phone  'free' full version apps under $20, external battery $15, on going costs, way less than $20 month if have carry over balance and data.
Full gps, and CCTV tracker...and the CCTV can have audio to boot.. not just visual but peoples names and places.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:32am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got a gps tracker on my boat. Worked ok for a year then failed, don't know why, but imagine possibly not tolerant of the marine environment, etc etc on a boat. I didnt replace it, because - cost, and ongoing hassles with it. Unfortunately, my boat was stolen after that!

I think there are some "fishhooks" in it. eg
Power needs to be permanent, otherwise, sure as eggs when its pinched the power supply would be run out. A battery separate from the boat battery would have to be charged regularly - not acceptable I think.
The crims might find it and disable it. The harder it is to find, the harder it is to keep working - might not get gps signal behind layers of aluminium.
How will it work exactly - if its active all the time, and sends message if the boat is  bumped or moves away from a specified area, would need to have your cellphone on all night (and wake you up, as that's probably when it would be pinched.

Later after the boat was stolen (second time), I bought a second gps tracker, but then before installing it , I reflected on the ongoing hassles; plus the hugely improved security I intended, and canned it.

I bought one through aliexpress in China - only cost $60 here - but was very pissed off at the poor service; manual virtually non-existent. So I don't know if it works or not. Basically, I expect for that price, it would be very low standard.

Now, I rely on -
- boat being on my section, out of sight of any road.
- a strong wheel clamp (SAS)
- a huge chain and padlock - anyone like to know where from PM me.
- insurance - AMI paid out no problem, twice; and then re-insured the 3rd boat!! Highly recommend AMI!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:52am
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Another good option are companies like SelectaDNA that you can use to put data dots on all your gear.

Boats and trailers that are stolen often end up rebadged, i.e painted, outboards swapped, etc. Otherwise it's pretty hard to first identity whether an outboard is stolen, when the older ones have no serial number or it's been filed off, and then identify the owner.

Datadots do all that.